Respected Contributor

Re: Good news on the treatment of covid front

@Kiakc wrote:

My 44 year old son received the antibody treatment this week as an outpatient.  Thanks to his primary physician for getting him this treatment, which most likely saved his life. We are very grateful.

@Kiakc, absolutely wonderful and so glad to hear your son received the treatment and did well.  Boy, what a relief for not only him, but his entire family as well.  News we all can celebrate!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@pitdakota @millieshops @on the bay @Kiakc @Desertdi 

Here is another source of information:

https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/i-have-covid-19-now/monoclonal-antibodies-high-risk-covid-19-positive-pa...

Thanks @LTT1!  

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@LTT1  Thanks for the information.  I try to keep myself relatively up to date because I am convinced the medical community is learning day by day, doctor by nurse by researcher, what Covid is up to.

There is no way to know, but I believe it’s quite possible that the special friends I lost in the early months last year could have lived if only Covid hadn’t found them while the medical front line workers were so overwhelmed just trying  treatments that had worked for previous viruses.

@millieshops, it is heart breaking isn't it?!  But at the same time it has been really impressive as to what both doctors and nurses have learned about covid.  But that info does come too late to save many which is heartbreaking. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The topic here is successfully treating people who already Have COVID with monoclonal antibodies.

This is not another vaccine -

it is a treatment that has been very successful.

GOOD NEWS! 💙💙💙

@rms1954 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota -

First, thank you for bringing this topic up again. It can never be reviewed too often!

These antibodies were given to every 50 states. So it wasn't actually a lack of the antibody but how each state distributed them or not or were not able to. Or hospitals saying they didn't have staff so refused them etc.

Or not enough places to do the infusing or even not understanding how and when to do them.

Just like the vaccines, it was the organization and lack of and so many other reasons that the antibodies were not utilized like they could have been.Or not distributed in the best way in the state. The doctors and scientists who gave these antibodies were shocked that many were just sitting there not being used.

This info is from many sites regarding this. It is another frustrating and disappointing way of how many more could have been saved.So there may have been shortages due to how each state handled the antibodies but when they were given out they were there and available.

There were no instructions really how and who and where to give these to, just like no national instruction on any ways to deal with the virus or vaccines until recently.

It was surprising how many doctors and nurses we dealt with who had wrong information about these antibodies saying oh only very ill people in the hospital could get them or they weren't available and many more misunderstandings.Everyone we talked to from drs to people anywhere thought these were only available if you were a president or someone like that.

I'm just incredibly grateful that we were able to get these for our mother despite the assisted living she was in. All because of an up to date doctor.

Everyone reading this thread or others, make sure you tell your friends, your family, anyone who has just been diagnosed with covd, and has mild to moderate symptoms and has underlying health issues, or over 65. Tell them about these. Help them find the infusion centers in your own state. Contact their Primary Care doctor. These can safe lives.

That is the important part of all this.

Already we've been able to tell many friends about this who have used this for their mother or someone.

To compare, it is just like millions of vaccines are given to a state. They set up these mass vaccination sites in larger cities. Then there are 100 or none in a small city. So no available vaccines in that county or city that day or always undersupplied.

Poor distribution and lack of organization.All the more frustrating because there were enough vaccines to go around, just not handed out evenly to all. Many states are now trying to improve this.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay, I didn't bring the topic up again.  This is the first time that a study providing such positive data regarding the treatment arm for those receiving the monoclonal antibodies was to such an extent that the decision was made to actually stop the study because it was unethical to withhold the treatment from those individuals that would have been put in the placebo group.

I mentioned in my OP that this occurrence is fairly rare in medical research so when you do see it, it is exciting.

I appreciate your excitement about the monoclonal antibodies and it is wonderful that we now have a treatment that has documented evidence of providing a treatment for patients.

As for the other part of your post, I am well aware of what happened in my state that led to the shortage in availability back before Christmas.  Most everything you included in your post did not apply to the situation here.  Doesn't mean it didn't happened other places, but it doesn't represent what happened here.

You are making quite a few assumptions that were all kinds of hospitals in very rural mountain areas that did not have testing capacity first of all.  Can't give the treatment without a postivite test.  Then when you have nothing but very small rural hospitals that absolutely DO NOT have the nurses to infuse the therapy, it was a really problem.  There are areas that had staff mainly comprised of LPN's without only 1 RN to supervise the entire staff.  LPN's are not licensed in the state of Ky to infuse any type of therapy.  Period.  

So while your discussion is germane to many other areas, this was a different type of situation. 

As I stated before, they have worked out these issues to decide what centers would be used for infusion and hired RN to be in place there.  But that wasn't the case when this happened.  It was compounded by no federal plan in place at the time to determine what to do with the product when it was refused.  At the time, no one really knew where it went and I am not sure they ever did determine that.  

To my knowledge most places have worked through these issues so that access should not be a problem today. 

I certainly share your excitement in the treatment though and hope it will be able to many now and in the future.  Just as it did in your mother's case! 

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota -

I thought I was saying a lot of the same problems as you mentioned.

I do see that this is a first for stopping the trial because of success.

Anyway, all good in that more people will be aware.

Thanks always for your input which is very valuable.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@pitdakota -

I thought I was saying a lot of the same problems as you mentioned.

I do see that this is a first for stopping the trial because of success.

Anyway, all good in that more people will be aware.

Thanks always for your input which is very valuable.

Could be @on the bay, mia culpa....I was reading and replying while on the phone with my teenage grandson and might not have been paying enough attention!  LOL!  What I ask for I guess when I try to multi-task these days.  LOL   LOL    

Now, the question is....what might have I promised my grandson that I wasn't paying enough attention then.  lol    Oh well, guess I will find out!

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota

Thank you very much!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i hope they finally start treating people as soon as they test positive.

DH's cousin wasn't so lucky.  She had symptoms, tested positive and was sent home with no treatment.  It rapidly progressed and when she had difficulty breathing, she went to the hospital.  They immediately put her on a ventilator and she died within a couple of days.

This was just a month ago.  She was 80 and had heart issues.  Surprised they offered no treatment.