Respected Contributor

Good news on the treatment of covid front

Regeneron, a company that makes a combination treatment of monoclonal antibody therapy has abruptly stopped their study due to the positive results in the treatment group.

I posted some time ago that in medical research if they start getting really impressive results in the treatment group they have procedures for a review to make a determination to abruptly stop the study since it then becomes unethical to withhold the treatment from the placebo group.

So that is what happened here.  The results they were obtaining in the treatment arm that received the monoclonal antibody therapy were so impressive they could not justify continuing the study and withholding treatment from those that would be in the placebo group. 

Here is a link to the article I received:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/946466?src=mkm_covid_update_210226_MSCPEDIT&uac=346958AJ&impID=... 

To be considered for the therapy one must test positive for SARS-CoV-2 and be at high risk for developing severe disease.  

So finally some good news on the treatment front.  And not only that, this is a fairly rare occurrence in research, so it is somewhat exciting when you see it happen.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Re: Good news on the treatment of covid front

@pitdakota Great news!  I believe that is the treatment that the former President and several other high profile people had.  That combined with the new vaccines should really make a difference!

Honored Contributor

Feel sorry for people who are rushing to be injected with any known vaccine they come out with.

Esteemed Contributor

In my area  in Dec 2020 there were  only 5 Hopsitals  sites within  my state that could provide the monoclonal antibody infusion Rx  .  I believe there were two medications . Haven't checked lately as to if  more Hospitals are providing this to pt's .

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

In my area  in Dec 2020 there were  only 5 Hopsitals  sites within  my state that could provide the monoclonal antibody infusion Rx  .  I believe there were two medications . Haven't checked lately as to if  more Hospitals are providing this to pt's .

@skatting44, let's hope so, especially for the people that are coming in today and in the near future that could certainly benefit from this treatment.  

I know in my area, we had several sites that could administer it, but it was not available as there was a shortage.  The supply issue is better now, especially with fewer hospitaizations.  

At any rate, really good news to have this as a treatment. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Feel sorry for people who are rushing to be injected with any known vaccine they come out with.

@rms1954      I feel the same about all the "new" medicines on the market......especially those being advertised on TV.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I've posted this before but these monoclonal antibodies were what our mother was able to get, yes the same that the former pres got.

They probably saved her life.

If you search under these you will see many articles about why these were not used more frequently.

It was not the lack of supply as many doctors and hospitals said they had supplies not being used.

Many thought these were only available for presidents and similar. 

Not true.

And another untruth is that people who only were hospitalized could get these. NO. They are used before a patient got severe enough to be hospitalized and within 10 days of getting covd with mild to moderate symptoms and over 65  and/or immunocompromized.

That is how these work.

Not all are given in a hospital walk in situation. Each state in the US was given these. How they distributed them or made them available was the hold up.

Yes, these could and have saved lives.

These are not new but have been poorly utilized in many states, just as the vaccine distribution has been.

Yet one state immediately uses them when an elderly or immuno comromised patient gets covd. The senior living memory care facilities are aware wheras in other states like our mothers, the facility knew nothing about it and just kept their covd patients in their rooms telling them to hydrate. Great. I'm sure that is why several residents died. Now they know about these after we made sure they knew.My mother got it from sheer determination from her family and a great doctor she had had for years who was aware of these.

These are available to everyone who has these criteria.

And for those who are skeptical of taking a new vaccine or med, I am probably one of the most distrustful people of medications prescribed so regularly or all the vaccines and shots they advise, but I would and was grateful for these antibodies and also the vaccine.

Once you have seen a loved one die on a ventilator face down where a month before they were living. Dying alone. You would maybe rethink all your fears and doubts and do anything to prevent that type of death for yourself or those you love.

Anyway, the main point of all this.

If you or a family or friend gets covd ,

remember these antibodies and get their PC to get them started. You can also look up where in your state they administer them. It has to be within 10 days of receiving covd.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

My 44 year old son received the antibody treatment this week as an outpatient.  Thanks to his primary physician for getting him this treatment, which most likely saved his life. We are very grateful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kiakc -

That is just our experience for our mother. I'm so glad you were able to get this for your sonSmiley Happy

I'm hoping the more we spread the word; the more know about this, the more lives can be saved.

@Kiakc wrote:

My 44 year old son received the antibody treatment this week as an outpatient.  Thanks to his primary physician for getting him this treatment, which most likely saved his life. We are very grateful.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@rms1954   Now I am confused.  I assumed treatment was to aid someone already infected, but the vaccine is to prevent the infection in the first place.  Aren’t both part of keeping more people from getting ill and/or dying once they do fall prey to the disease?