Valued Contributor

Re: Good insurance which won't cover accunpuncture

My health insurance does cover my acupuncture treatments. 

Esteemed Contributor

Do you have community acupuncture where you live?  The treatment rooms are communal (usually in a reclining chair) with low lighting and zen-like music.  Needles are basically used on arms, legs and head so there is no undressing, etc.  The patient is covered with a blanket and relaxes for the length of the session (commonly 45 minutes).  

Charges are on a sliding fee scale and extremely affordable. I know a woman recovering from 2 types of cancer who initially scoffed at the idea but because of her pain decided to try it and was helped immensely.  

Honored Contributor

If this has been recommended by a physician then he should be willing to write letters etc. to help you get the insurance to cover it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If this has been recommended by a physician then he should be willing to write letters etc. to help you get the insurance to cover it.

Unfortunately, if it is excluded under your health insurance benefits, it is not covered... period.  Even if medically necessary 

same as auto insurance,.  If your contract doesn't cover towing, for example and your car breaks down and must be towed, there is still no coverage for it even though it is necessary.

letters won't help.

Contributor

I'm a veteran and the VA even will pay for it! I love it ! It has help so my with my back pains.

Honored Contributor

When I was working, both chiropractic and acupuncture were covered by my insurance. Now that I'm on traditional Medicare (MA not available to me) I'm out of luck.

Having had treatment several times in years past, I believe in it.

But because it always works better with a series of treatments, only paying for 1-2 isn't much help and I can't afford paying for 8-10 treatments even at a reduced rate. Kind of a bummer.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Unfortunately, if it is excluded under your health insurance benefits, it is not covered... period.  Even if medically necessary 

same as auto insurance,.  If your contract doesn't cover towing, for example and your car breaks down and must be towed, there is still no coverage for it even though it is necessary.

letters won't help.

Actually , it is not at all uncommon for health ins. companies to reconsider and allow things once the doctor shows it is medically needed. Esp. if it will save them money in the end. ie : prevent need for surgery or other much more pricey treatment.

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

I am interested in acupuncture for a pain disorder and would be paying $100 for "a set of needles- (one treatment)".

Does anyone know if this is deductible on my federal income tax? It is not covered by insurance for me.

@violann An accountant could review your return to give you a definitive answer, but we've been told that in order to be able to deduct medical expenses on our tax return they had to exceed 10% of our adjusted gross income.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

letters won't help.

Actually , it is not at all uncommon for health ins. companies to reconsider and allow things once the doctor shows it is medically needed. Esp. if it will save them money in the end. ie : prevent need for surgery or other much more pricey treatment.

Ah no, that is not true at all.  When you have health insurance there is a contract between the insurance company and the group you work for or the individual who has the insurance if they are not on a group plan. 

if the insurance company pays a claim for an excluded procedure, it is illegal.. the same as if they deny a procedure that is covered.  It is not about saving money.  The state insurance commission would be knocking on the insurance companies door and they would get fined.

sometimes the group will request the insurance company to cover an excluded procedure by exception and sometimes it is allowed, 

i worked in the appeals unit for years.  All letters went through my dept first for review.  If I received a letter from a provider or individual on a non covered service.  I would immediately write a letter explaining the service was excluded and could not be reviewed    or preauthorized. 

if you have a government plan such as Medicare, you can forget about it,  they do not make exceptions at all.

Trusted Contributor

As @magicmoodz mentioned - check out a community accupunture place.

There is one near me and you basically make a donation in a box. You do have to make an appointment within a time frame.