Valued Contributor

Good insurance which won't cover accunpuncture

Dear husband has degenerative discs in neck, very painful, & has gone through PT, massage, steroid injections, & a certain anti-depressant with some pain-blocking outcomes. Surgery not appropriate. Don't want to start opioids of course, he's 57 and has to live with this. Next step is accupuncture. The doctor is well regarded and not some quack. We are lucky to have good insurance but they won't cover; insurance says send a case with diagnostic codes and practitioner statement qualifications for future plan consideration. I'm on it. Maybe you can help advocate for this in your world.
Respected Contributor

Re: Good insurance which won't cover accunpuncture

Do you have a HSA?  Accupuncture may be an allowable expense.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
Dear husband has degenerative discs in neck, very painful, & has gone through PT, massage, steroid injections, & a certain anti-depressant with some pain-blocking outcomes. Surgery not appropriate. Don't want to start opioids of course, he's 57 and has to live with this. Next step is accupuncture. The doctor is well regarded and not some quack. We are lucky to have good insurance but they won't cover; insurance says send a case with diagnostic codes and practitioner statement qualifications for future plan consideration. I'm on it. Maybe you can help advocate for this in your world.

ORBird: I went into acupuncture with fear and trembling, not really expecting anything to come of this to help my failing digestive system.  Was I wrong.!   I continue to have 2 treatments monthly even after 3 years but acupuncture literally saved my life when Drs. didn't know what else to do for me.  I happen to have a Blue Cross government health plan and treatments are paid for up to 24 yearly.  Medicare won't cover this either but I do believe in time every plan will pay for these treatments as more and more people try this method, remember how long it took to admit chiropractic treatment could be helpful to some.  I would suggest that you contact a few in your area and ask if they will consider a discount; mine will always give a person without insurance a break because he truly wants you to get better.  My son goes to one who merely asks for a donation; hese are usually people who treat in more modest offices but can be equally qualified.     By the way, pain is their speciality!  The best of luck to your husband!

Valued Contributor

My acupuncturist doesn't accept any insurance. You have to pay on your own. My insurance will reimburse if I have a primary care doctor's note saying the acupuncture would be necessary.   Good luck to your husband. 

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

@birdQ13 wrote:

ORBird: I went into acupuncture with fear and trembling, not really expecting anything to come of this to help my failing digestive system.  Was I wrong.!   I continue to have 2 treatments monthly even after 3 years but acupuncture literally saved my life when Drs. didn't know what else to do for me.  I happen to have a Blue Cross government health plan and treatments are paid for up to 24 yearly.  Medicare won't cover this either but I do believe in time every plan will pay for these treatments as more and more people try this method, remember how long it took to admit chiropractic treatment could be helpful to some.  I would suggest that you contact a few in your area and ask if they will consider a discount; mine will always give a person without insurance a break because he truly wants you to get better.  My son goes to one who merely asks for a donation; hese are usually people who treat in more modest offices but can be equally qualified.     By the way, pain is their speciality!  The best of luck to your husband!

I was just coming to post the same thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, acupuncture is classified as an experimental procedure by most health insurance companies, even though this form old medicine has been practiced for thousands of years.

If. your employer is self insured, they can have it covered under their policy.  The Federal Government ( FEP) is self ensured and many of their policies, but not all,  do cover acupuncture up to so many treatments.

It' really too bad it's not considered standard treatment, because acupuncture works for many people.

The insurance company I worked for has covered chiropractic services as far back as 1985 and maybe sooner.  In my area, the Chiropracters took advantage of the insurance companies and their clients and went way overboard sending in claims for services they never preformed, services are still covered, but they are limited and monitored for medically necessity.  

Honored Contributor

I am interested in acupuncture for a pain disorder and would be paying $100 for "a set of needles- (one treatment)".

Does anyone know if this is deductible on my federal income tax? It is not covered by insurance for me.

Respected Contributor

My acupunturist charges $65.00 a visit.  So well worth the $ to get relief from my sciatica.  I cant believe how well it worked. I was very skeptical going in but hopeful.  It worked.

Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:

And in the meantime see if the provider will offer you some sort of package deal.   A friend with RA committed to a set number of appointsments and was given some of them free, because of the committment, which I think was 10 or 12 visits.  Maybe it was buy 10, get 2 free.  It's not something advertised.

Reconsider the pain meds, maybe not opioids specifically but there are other meds and combinations of meds available for those who need long term relief.   

I don't know details but I have friends with similar problems who tell me bits & pieces of what they go through.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Medicare Advantage Plan and I have acupuncture benefits - 18 a year.  However, I tried it for my chronic lower back pain and unforutunately it didn't help.