Honored Contributor

My last crown is made of Zirconium, my dentist said it is state of the art!!

Valued Contributor

My dentist doesn't do crowns in her office.  I do wonder why but she has her own practice and no other dentists there.  I will get the gold crown.  I'm tired of dental work and not looking forward to having this one done.  I had gold put on my lower back when I was in my 20s.  I guess back then that's all they put on back teeth.  I'm not concerned about looks since it's so far back I couldn't even see it with a mirror.  The dentist took a photo of it to show me how it's broken.  I have thought about having it pulled and getting an implant.  I have 2 implants with porcelain crowns on them.  I thought about that too and if the root goes in this tooth I will get it pulled.  Root canals don't last forever and that's how I lost 2 teeth that had root canals in them for years.  I had to get a root canal in a porcelain crowned tooth and then the tooth broke so had to get it posted and new crown.  I've spent more time in a dentist chair than anyone I know but I do have all my teeth with upgrades.  I don't think the gold cost more than the porcelain because I got a procelain crown last year and it was the same price as the gold.  I do wear a nightguard and found I sleep better with it. 

Respected Contributor

Awesom Kismet. I too have spent a lot of time in the DDS chair. Best to keep your own teeth. Yes, gold is no more expensive.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

OP, I'd find a new dentist!! NO ONE uses gold anymore! Please do your homework. Porcelain is the only way to go. Why would you like to have a nice belly laugh and all people see is a beg haunking gold thing glistening in the back of your mouth? Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I love gold, but only in my jewelry !! Only something white goes into my mouth!! Even my older fillings were done in white composite. Please ask your dentist about the Zirconium crown. 

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Sooner, to each their own. Gold is for OLD people!!!

@ahoymate I am old.  Are you hating on old people or what? Do you not aspire to BE an old person some day?  Is it worth than death?  Woman Frustrated

The REASON I still have my gold tooth is that it was done 45 years ago when I was NOT an old person and has been problem free since because it is gold.  Why wouldn't you want that?  

Nobody but the dentist and doctor see my gold tooth and they, oddly, do not seem offended. . . 

Respected Contributor

Chill Sooner, Chill. We are all different.

Honored Contributor

I have both. Gold on the back porcelain in the front.

Gold will last longer so I don't really care what it looks like. You cannot see them in the back. 

My dentist wanted to put all Porcelain on until I told him No.

Reason is he makes more money because he can make those at his office but has to have the gold made some place else.

Do your research so you can make your own decision.

Valued Contributor

Had my appointment for my crown today but dentist cancelled so will go in later this week.  I did ask about the Zirconium crown and she said she uses Zirconium about 90% of the time.  I may have one that I had done last year closer to the front.  In the back I would rather gold to last than have a white crown.  Even when I smile you can't see my lower gold crowns.  I imagine years ago when I had them done maybe that's all they used.  Denistry has gotten so much better over the years. 

Esteemed Contributor

My natural teeth are a thing of beauty (from what every dentist I've ever had told me).  I have been lucky to have had great dentistry my entire long life (@iceberg: I am old).  I have only two real fillings and they are gold (and beautiful work from what several dentists have said)and on molars.  No one, other than a medical professional will ever see them and I, for one, am offended by @ahoymate's comments (they are NOT OK!).