Valued Contributor

I just read an interesting article (actually a couple of them) about using a low dose (3-5 grams) of Glycine for sleep. It is particularly helpful for those who can not "turn off their brain at night" or constantly have a racing mind. 

Has anyone had any experience with this? 

Honored Contributor

I've used it in capsule form and it helps somewhat.

It also comes as a powder.

Make sure you take it with milk or food as it can cause GI upset.

Respected Contributor

No but now I am very interested to hear if people have tried it and if it worked.

Valued Contributor

I take Magnesium Glycinate which has a form of glycine in it. It is supposed to be taken at night and it is to have a calming effect on you. 

I have been taking it for a few years now. I will say it does help sometimes but not all the time.

Respected Contributor

mknits, glad you mentioned that. I just checked and the magnesium bisglyconate I have has it. I don't think it helped me with sleep either. Maybe straight glycine would though.

Honored Contributor

I can't recall exactly why I started it, but I've been taking this product for quite a while now.  I think it might help. 

My problem with sleeping is fairly complex (combo of childhood horrors, breathing probs, etc), so it's hard to tell but I feel like I fall back to sleep more than I used to and sometimes I actually sleep for an hour or a little more at a time.   (Amazon - they have it on auto-delivery, too, so it's pretty inexpensive)  One bottle lasts months.

I just keep about 3oz of water in one of my bottles in the refrigerator each day and put it in there, shake it up, and drink it before I eat my dinner.