Respected Contributor

I'd been using Gly-Oxide for probably 50 years when I'd get a canker sore or other irritation in my mouth & it worked really well.  I hadn't bought it in awhile, but noticed I was almost out of the little bottle that I have, so checked all around & can't find it.  It sounds like it may have been discountinued at some point, but since I never bought it often, I didn't know.  I haven't asked in person at Walgreen's or CVS in person yet.  Does anyone know of a good alternative for it that I can try?  I've tried swishing hydrogen peroxide as a rinse & it's OK, but I really preferred the Gly-Oxide.  Anyone have a suggestion to use instead?  TIA

Respected Contributor
I used to use Glyoxide for canker sores, too, and found it suddenly impossible to find. (I used to get the "larger" bottle.). Then I bit the inside of my cheek while eating pizza, and kept biting that spot. Ouch. Anyway, I used Colgate's Peroxyl, and it worked like a charm. It's a much larger bottle, available everywhere. I think you'll find it to be a very good substitute for the Glyoxide.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

I used Gly-oxide twice a day for several years.  Found the recommendation on these boards and it worked beautifully for my oral health.  

I had it on my Amazon Subscribe&Save until they cancelled my subscription last month.

Luckily, I had accumulated 3 bottles so I'm now on bottle #2 and have another one in my stash.

Who knows what happened to Gly-Oxide?; however, I'll certainly try the substitute recommended when my supply is exhausted.

Respected Contributor

Re: Gly-Oxide Substitute?

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote:
I used to use Glyoxide for canker sores, too, and found it suddenly impossible to find. (I used to get the "larger" bottle.). Then I bit the inside of my cheek while eating pizza, and kept biting that spot. Ouch. Anyway, I used Colgate's Peroxyl, and it worked like a charm. It's a much larger bottle, available everywhere. I think you'll find it to be a very good substitute for the Glyoxide.

Thanks, @Moonlady .  I just ordered a bottle from Amazon to try the Colgate Peroxyl & it will be here tomorrow & it was less than $6.

ETA: I'm always biting my cheek, part of my lip or the sides of my tongue & dang it hurts & the Glyoxide worked so well for that.  I hope the peroxyl will, too.

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:

Thanks, @Moonlady .  I just ordered a bottle from Amazon to try the Colgate Peroxyl & it will be here tomorrow & it was less than $6.

ETA: I'm always biting my cheek, part fo my lip or the sides of my tongue & dang it hurts & the Glyoxide worked so well for that.  I hope the peroxyl will, too.

@aubnwa01 Good; I hope it works for you.  I just want to say, be aware that the Peroxyl is a mouth rinse, so you don't even need as much as you would for a mouthwash. 

I can really sympathize because I had a terrible time with canker sores as a child. I remember Campho-phenique (ugh!), Kanka, and I even remember the doctor telling my mom to use salt (😳). 

But especially if you're using the product for oral health, Glyoxide or Peroxyl seems the way to go. And as I mentioned, it's available everywhere.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Gly-Oxide Substitute?

[ Edited ]

Amazon still sells Gly-Oxide and so does Walmart.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee   I'm seeing 1 bottle of GlyOxide for sale on Amazon for $120.00Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@SilleeMee   I'm seeing 1 bottle of GlyOxide for sale on Amazon for $120.00Smiley Very Happy

@pdlinda 

Oh yikes! I didn't check the price there. But Walmart and Walgreens has it for $13-$14.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  I still have about 2 large bottles left but that's good to know!

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@pdlinda  When I was searching online last night, I found some, but they listed the use-by date as 7/22, so if they aren't making in anymore, what's available may be old stock still hanging around.