Trusted Contributor

Can anybody out there tell me why this pic gives me the chills.  I have looked at similar pics that show a variety of closely shown items that really make my skin crawl.  Does this effect anyboby else like that and why?

gives me the chills.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't want to eat it, but it "doesn't make my skin crawl".  What about it is so disturbing,,,,the combination of the bananas and pie?

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't offend me in any way, however, I can't see myself eating a piece of pie with sliced bananas as a topping.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Regular Contributor

Re: Gives me the chills

[ Edited ]

I don't get it. Is it a peanut butter/banana pie? 

Honored Contributor

They just need to put some kind of topping on it to make it more palatable. I love banana cream pie. Boy, what a reaction to food.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newname0 wrote:

Can anybody out there tell me why this pic gives me the chills.  I have looked at similar pics that show a variety of closely shown items that really make my skin crawl.  Does this effect anyboby else like that and why?

gives me the chills.jpg 

What you described sounds like trypophobiaIt's a type of phobia. Please look it up and that might help you understand what it is. @newname0

Occasional Contributor

It's not the pie that is making you feel this way.  It could be Trypophobia which is an aversion to the sight of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes, or bumps.  I feel like my hair on my head is standing on end by looking at photos like the one below.  

Image result for fear of closely spaced holes

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @SilleeMee @Shimmer  I love it when I learn new words,  Interesting phobia...an unlikely fear,  I wonder why.  We can understand snakes, but irregular patterns of small holes.   I'll bet it is a rare phobia.

I just found this:

What causes Trypophobia?

Two academics from Great Britain (Geoff Cole and Arnold Wilkins) suspect an ancient, innate biological revulsion that causes Trypophobia. The holes and clusters found with Trypophobia triggering images can also be found with dangerous animals (such as certain reptiles) that could pose some serious harm to our ancestors. Cole and Wilkins think that Trypophobia is a primitive part of the brain associating the pictures we see with something dangerous.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat pie very often, can't remember the last time I ate cake or pie. Not sure what is in this picture under the bananas. I eat 2-3 every single day, love 'em!

Not sure what your issue might be with this picture, but it looks tasty to me.

hn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I couldn't eat that one dish that looks like it was looking back at me.