Honored Contributor

Update: Welp we found out last night DH could get the vaccine today, so he got it this morning! Merry Christmas Eve!

It's the Moderna one and he has to get shot number 2 on Jan 21st. It was performed at a local school and they were giving out the shot to qualified people from the whole county. He was one of the first 10 because he went really early, on the advice of the nurse he talked to.

I wanted to go along, but he didn't want to wait on me getting ready this morning so he just drove himself. The line quickly stretched outside the building. Lots of first responders were there in line, police and firefighters and EMTs. All the 1A1s. 

Afterward he waited in the car, texting with me, for half an hour to wait for any reactions, and felt fine. His arm is sore and he says the skin feels a tad stiff around the injection area and he had a mild headache briefly that seems to have gone away. He's feeling great.

@hckynut I said in another thread, that I think disappeared, I'd update on how it went.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I am 74 and have 2 autoimmune diseases.  Goodness knows when I'll get to have one.

I understand that the elderly are no longer on the list of people who are up near the front behind grocery store clerks, etc.

Hummm???

Contributor

My brother is in the health care field and just got his Moderna vaccine this morning. I will be relieved when my husband and I can get ours. My sister, however, won't get one because she believes the government is putting tracking devices in you.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

First I am glad to hear your husband got the vaccination, and appreciate your update. Surprised a bit that it was the Moderna, but from what I understand the effectiveness is comparable to the Pizer(sp).

Our state seems to have moved from elderly 1st, and I have heard the prisoners in our State Pen with move ahead of them, us. Seem both ways, but cannot find any comment directly from our Governor.

If those are the only reactions your husband has, that to me sounds pretty mild, considering the benefits. Wish you both well

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 

First I am glad to hear your husband got the vaccination, and appreciate your update. Surprised a bit that it was the Moderna, but from what I understand the effectiveness is comparable to the Pizer(sp).

Our state seems to have moved from elderly 1st, and I have heard the prisoners in our State Pen with move ahead of them, us. Seem both ways, but cannot find any comment directly from our Governor.

If those are the only reactions your husband has, that to me sounds pretty mild, considering the benefits. Wish you both well

hckynut 

@hckynut  Our close friend is a prison guard. He got COVID months ago. I am hoping the prisons are trying to protect their guards with the shots. I don't care about the prisoners, but I guess they have to do everyone to keep the guards safe.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

I have always been for all front line workers and all real essential workers being at the front of the line, law enforcement and firefighters included.

Prisoners? My understanding of the vaccine is that it protects those that receive it. I understand your point, but that same scenario should then apply everyone of those that work at ancillary jobs in medical facilities, like the hospitals. They are not health care per se', but spend their hours working there.

I think we could both go on and on with those types of examples. My view is this. From the very start, most everyone agreed that the most At Risk were, the elderly with or without comorbidities. Unless I am behind on something, I really don't understand the discussions over who should get the vaccine first.

I am not saying this because I am in that highest risk category, but because I believe it should go to those most likely to get it, and the most likely to die from it. Prisoners? They most likely broke some law somewhere, or they would not be classified as a prisoner. Sure, there risk might be high, but I cannot ignore their why!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Yes, I see what you are saying about prisoners. Who knows what's going on. Although from what I read, even on here, many people do not want the vaccine. And even more think this whole thing is hocus pocus so I'm assuming many people will not be getting it. I haven't decided either. Lol! Too busy with Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

I understand your point, but that same scenario should then apply everyone of those that work at ancillary jobs in medical facilities, like the hospitals. They are not health care per se', but spend their hours working there.

@hckynut 

Some hospitals definitely agree with you! This is probably another one of those things that vary by state (or maybe even by institution), but the large hospital chain here in the New Orleans area (Ochsner) began giving shots on the first day, Monday, and they gave them to all employees who wanted them.  On the news that night they showed a cleaning lady getting her shot.  She cleaned in one of the areas that handled COVID patients.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

There has been some infighting at the Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital in New York because employees who were not involved with covid patients got vaccinated while medical personnel who are involved with covid patients didn't.  Apparently, the many vials of vaccine were not placed or delivered in the right area of the hospital and those who administered it not the right people to be doing so.  A huge fight over this and now not enough vials remain for the many doctors and nurses who didn't get vaccinated.  Lots of anger and bitterness over this as they wait for their next shipment.  

Search:

Hospital Workers Start to 'Turn Against Each Other' to Get Vaccine

Trusted Contributor

Wonderful news!  I cry every time I watch frontline workers getting their vaccine for the first time.  It's a very emotional time.

Teachers are part of the next group to be vaccinated.  I can't wait.  I'm curious as to how they are going to do it for us.  They bring the flu shots to our building each year, but I don't know how that would work with this one.  I guess we would have to get the Moderna vaccine for that to happen because it doesn't need the freezing temps for storage.  Either way, I'll go where ever they need me to go!

Best of luck to you!