Honored Contributor

Re: Getting medicare costs under control

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
Why would anyone purchase an advantage plan and not Plan F?

COST. Where I live to get a plan F + Rx plan would cost over $800/month for the two of us. Our advantage plan is only the $104 they take from each of our SS checks, or $208/month. Quite a difference.Plus advantage plans also save us a lot on things like $60/month for our YMCA memberships because they pay for additiobnal benefits medicare doesn't offer, For instance I am a cancer survivor and I have a + BRAC gene so I am supposed to get a special  digital, spiral mammo. Medicare doesn't pay for it but my advantage plan I called them and they have approved it so they pay for it. I don't htink advanatge plans are the best thing for everyone but at least for right now it is best for us. 

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

@151949I went with my aunt when she chose her options for Medicare and it was my understanding that once you have chosen an Advantage plan you can't switch to a supplement Plan F.

Not so - as long as you are not undergoing any treatment - say you were diagnosed with cancer - you would have to finish your treatments on your advantage plan but then would be free to switch to a supplement in the next sign up period. This was told to us at a town hall meeting by a rep from medicare, and our agent. the medicare rep was encouraging people to sign up for advantage plans if they are younger retirees and still relatively healthy.

151949, you should stick to nursing and stay away health insurance information.

Yes, you can change from an Advantage plan back to Traditional Medicare during the open enrollment period,  the problem is...it will be almost impossible to get a suppliment plan at that time.  Because you did not pick up a suppliment within 6 months of getting Medicare Part B, you will be penalized with a VERY, VERY high rate for that supplemental plan.

So, if you change your mind, you will probably have Medicare only without the supplemental plan. So... Plan F is out of the.picture for most people.

What is your source of thisd information -- becaiuse it is not true.If you have a medicare and you book you can read right there what the premium would be.

Honored Contributor

Again this thread is NOT about advantage plans vs supplements. It is a totally different topic. Some people here need to read the OP.

Respected Contributor

If you apply for Plan F after you are 65, the insurance company can reject you or charge a high rate.  Then there is some sort of penalty on top of that.

People basically have to decide at age 65 whether they want Plan F or Advantage.  If you want a high level of care, you choose Plan F. 

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

If you apply for Plan F after you are 65, the insurance company can reject you or charge a high rate.  Then there is some sort of penalty on top of that.

People basically have to decide at age 65 whether they want Plan F or Advantage.  If you want a high level of care, you choose Plan F. 

Actually, people can chose between an advantage plan or plans A thru N in supplements. But , again, that is NOT what this thread is about.

Respected Contributor

OP--Really the thread is about that because HMOs/PPOs limit care and the alternative is paying for Plan F.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

OP--Really the thread is about that because HMOs/PPOs limit care and the alternative is paying for Plan F.

There are supplement plans A through N -- not just plan F!!!!!!!And the original post is about that maybe not even being an option anymore - that all the supplements will go to being managed care, which is an HMO or PPO.

Honored Contributor

Really people, if your going to vote get a grip on what the issues are that affect your life and vote accordingly. Get educated about what the candidates are really saying.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@KarenQVC

You DO realize that Plan F is not the only Medicare supplement ... right?    There are Plans A through N, not just F.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@KarenQVC

You DO realize that Plan F is not the only Medicare supplement ... right?    There are Plans A through N, not just F.

And Plan G offers every benefit that Plan F offers except the Part B deductible, for a hefty reduction in premiums. It's a great option for those for whom premium cost is a consideration. Plan F is scheduled to be discontinued in 2020. Those grandfathered in will keep it, but can you imagine what will happen then to the premiums for Plan F?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Sure, but most people use Plan F.  That is why I used it as an example.  Oh, and all plans are not available in all areas.