Respected Contributor

Getting a New Hip Soon, Advice?

I will be having a hip replacement in 2 weeks, had a knee done last year. If you have been through a hip replacement, what tips can you provide?  I understand this might be an easier scenario than a knee! That would be nice!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: Getting a New Hip Soon, Advice?

Cannot give you any advice but a friend of mine has had both hips replaced AND both knees and yes, hips are easier according to him.

Honored Contributor

I know many who have had it done, all recovered nicely, good luck !!

Contributor

My husband had the surgery a few years ago.   You will not be able to bend more than 90 degrees so make sure you have a recliner that is tall enough that you can easily stand up without bending forward.  You will also need a portable toilet that fits over your regular one so that you don't have to bend to get up.  It should have handles on the side and slide right over your regular one.   It also helps to have a "grabbber" that you can use to pick things up off the floor.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

A friend, a widow, had one done a while back.  I used to go over every night after work to help out.  I was surprised about things like taking clothing out of the dryer and getting into the lower shelves in the refrigerator being a problem.  

If you live alone it would be helpful to have a little help each day.

Trusted Contributor

Wishing you lots of luck!!

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@Jacie  Yes, it is easier than a knee ~ at least it was for me. Since you asked for advice I will only say be completely confident in your medical team and follow their advice (they know what they're doing). Direct any and all concerns with them and if you don't like what they say let them know that - tell them if you're afraid or feeling panicked or constipated or have an unusual headache - anything - they can handle it and you will feel the better for your discussion and be more confident.

Good luck and think of how much better you'll be feeling.

Respected Contributor

If you have pets and you're alone, you'll have to find a kennel to take care of them as you cannot. Can't get their food in the dishes, water ect. Walking them. Good luck to you - hugs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friend had to have the same hip done twice, due to the first having faulty equipment.  It may have even been recalled.  With the first one, she had PT come to the house.  With the second, she remembered everything so she did it herself.  She is a self-motivated kind of person, though,  Her house has stairs so she got a hospital bed and stayed on her lower level for several weeks. I've never had the procedure but from watching her, I'd encourage you to stay on track with your home exercises as directed and then add longer walks as you are able - you'll be using a walker at first.  When it's time, force yourself to get out even when you don't feel like it. 

Honored Contributor

My friend who had knee surgery, said, get up and walk as soon as you can, and keep it up.  Wonder if the same wouldn't also apply, go by what the doc says.

Another friend said hip is easier than knee (think she meant the surgery).