Esteemed Contributor

Getting a EMG test next week...what can I expect?

I am going for an EMG test since I have been experiencing tingling in my feet.

Anyone have one recently and what can I expect?

Respected Contributor

Re: Getting a EMG test next week...what can I expect?

I had one a few months ago , it is not pleasant , but not bad in my opinion , it pretty strong shocks for a very short time on several different areas of legs  and arms. My neeurologist would tell me what to expect each time and then ask me if i was doing okay. I think the average person would do okay , unless you are a super sensitive person. Good luck and don't worry about this procedure. Report back and let me know if you agreed with me.

Honored Contributor

I had to have one a few weeks ago.  Same problem .... tingling in feet, cramping in toes during sleep.  Didn't like the test and I still have the problem.  No answers.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have CIDP which is an off shoot of MS, so I have  had several EMG'S  over the year's.  It feels like a am being electrocuted.  My nerve damage is on Ground Zero.  The last one was done by two students learning how to do them.  OUCH.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twinny70 wrote:

I have CIDP which is an off shoot of MS, so I have  had several EMG'S  over the year's.  It feels like a am being electrocuted.  My nerve damage is on Ground Zero.  The last one was done by two students learning how to do them.  

@twinny70 

I also have CIDP, the one-in-a-million disease.  I was diagnosed at Mayo.

@Nataliesgramma 

Sorry to say the ones I've had were pretty bad.  Maybe I'm a softie as someone else mentioned. 

My Neurologist said he never did them without pre-test pain meds. Unfortunately that was After someone else had already done my EMGs!  

Best Wishes to Both of you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@twinny70 wrote:

I have CIDP which is an off shoot of MS, so I have  had several EMG'S  over the year's.  It feels like a am being electrocuted.  My nerve damage is on Ground Zero.  The last one was done by two students learning how to do them.  

@twinny70 

@Nataliesgramma 

Sorry to say the ones I've had were pretty bad.  Maybe I'm a softie as someone else mentioned.  

My Neurologist said he never did them without pre-test pain meds. Unfortunately that was After someone else had already done my EMGs!  

I remember you telling me that you have CIDP.  Our ds originally diagnosed me with GBS almost 20 years ago,  but then knew that it was CIDP as I had a terrible relapse.  I spent two weeks at the Mayo Clinic getting Plasma Pheresis (sp)?  I am getting IVIG infusions every 8 weeks at the Meriter Infusion Center and doing well.  My next one is on Monday.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  The test itself is no big deal. No real pain, a twinge of tingling is about all. I hope you have a good result from your test.

Honored Contributor

@twinny70 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@twinny70 wrote:

@twinny70 

@Nataliesgramma 

I remember you telling me that you have CIDP.  Our ds originally diagnosed me with GBS almost 20 years ago,  but then knew that it was CIDP as I had a terrible relapse.  I spent two weeks at the Mayo Clinic getting Plasma Pheresis (sp)?  I am getting IVIG infusions every 8 weeks at the Meriter Infusion Center and doing well.  My next one is on Monday.

@twinny70 

I had 3 awful bouts, totally paralyzed.

Dr. started IVIG 4 hours each time, 2 days in a row, every 2 weeks for a year.

Then I started spreading them out, same dose, first every three weeks, waited 6 months or so, then every 4 weeks...

After 3 years I got them up to every 8 weeks, and still had no  symptoms.  

Told my local Neurologist, and Mayo Neurologist I wanted to stop IVIG.  No one could give me any advice about what might happen, etc.  I stopped 8-27-2019.  

I was SO Fortunate!  Still OK!  Fingers Crossed!

Wishing You All The Best.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@twinny70 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@twinny70 wrote:

@twinny70 

@Nataliesgramma 

@twinny70 

I had 3 awful bouts, totally paralyzed.

Dr. started IVIG 4 hours each time, 2 days in a row, every 2 weeks for a year.

Then I started spreading them out, same dose, first every three weeks, waited 6 months or so, then every 4 weeks...

After 3 years I got them up to every 8 weeks, and still had no  symptoms.  

Told my local Neurologist, and Mayo Neurologist I wanted to stop IVIG.  No one could give me any advice about what might happen, etc.  I stopped 8-27-2019.  

I was SO Fortunate!  Still OK!  Fingers Crossed!

Wishing You All The Best.  

Wow!  What a story.  I started getting IVIG infusions every 6 weeks for 2 days at a time in the hospital.  Then after my first & only relapse when I was paralyzed, I got infusions 3 times a week for 6 weeks.  Then twice a week for 6 weeks, then once a week for 6 weeks.  Then every two weeks for 6 weeks, Then once a month every 6 weeks.  It took a long time for me to get to the every 6-8 weeks plan.  I have been on  this plan for quite a while & it's works well when we did a lot of traveling.  That all ended last year in March.  We just got our 2nd vaccination & are hoping to be able to start traveling in the Fall of this year.  I am wishing you all the best too.  

Honored Contributor

@twinny70 

It took me > 3 years to work up to 2 days every 8 weeks.  Then I was able to stop.  Fingers Crossed!

I too miss traveling!   Have been fortunate to visit many countries.

Hope both of get our wings back soon.

Happy Trails To You!