Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting a EMG test next week...what can I expect?

I had one 2 yrs ago. I have had tingling and numbness in my feet for several years. I took it to be stemming from the sciatic nerve coming from my back. I put the test off because I had heard how awful the test was. But my doctor said she would like to confirm where it was coming from. Sorry to say it was awful. The first half hour was getting shocked. The 2nd half hour was inserting a needle in my leg and wiggling it around. Hard to say which was worse. The conclusion?.....coming from my back. Duh.

Honored Contributor

I was so worried after reading horror stories here that I asked for a Valium to be prescribed.  Yes, they gave me only one.  Well, tell you what, I was worried over nothing.  Totally bearable in my case.  And no, they didn't find out what was wrong.  

Respected Contributor

What is a EMG?

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

What is a EMG?

Electromyography.  

Respected Contributor

But what is the test for?

Super Contributor

@BeccaLou It's a test for nerve damage

I had one in December, I have severe burning from the chest down. It basically feels like you're getting shocked, my legs jerked each time. The needles aren't comfortable but I was already in a lot of pain. I thought I'd be a lot worse afterward but I was more flared up from sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours. I had one a few decades ago after I had pelvic nerve damage from a surgery and let me tell you, being shocked in your private area is a lot worse! Good luck!