Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting Shingles Increases the Risk of Heart Attack by 40%

My Dr told me I can get shingles again even if I get a shot for it.In fact that  shot makes me even more susceptable.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I read where the shingles shot only helps 20% of those who get it.... seems awfully expensive( insurance or not) to not really help the masses and leave most who get it still vulnerable  to shingles.

@SeaMaiden  The purpose of the vaccine is to not get it at all.  I'd say your statistics are skewed.  First of all, how could anyone do a controlled study on everyone who's had the shingles vaccine? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

While I know they are very knowledgable, I would never get a shot from a pharmacist .....   well, only as a last resort!

@Tinkrbl44  When I got the vaccine it was at a Walgreens pharmacy because the clinic where I see my doctor couldn't store it.  The doctor prescribed the vaccine and a designated Walgreen's employee administered it, just like any prescription. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Hoping to see @pitdakota and @JustJazzmom weigh in on this topic.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

The most recent pharmaceutical commercial that even had my very mainstream gastroenterologist shaking his head is the new vaccine for meningitis B, being touted for a very rare type of meningitis that attacks infants and small children.  Even though they have to admit this disease is very rare, they still emphasize "Moms . . . don't wait!" at the end of the commercial.

@LilacTree  This ad makes me sick.  Putting the scare in people.  Are they still pushing the vaccine for HPV for kids?  SMH

@tends2dogs

Pretty soon they'll be inventing diseases just so they can manufacture meds for them.  They are nothing more than legal drug pushers whose lobbies have the government in their greedy tentacles.  (I would have said it differently, but I'm trying to be careful.)  It's disgusting, yes it is.

@LilacTree

While you & I often agree, this is definitely an exaggeration.   NO American pharmaceutical company can put any drug on the market until it's been carefully scrutinized and approved by the FDA.   

@Tinkrbl44

I was being facetious, Tink.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My Aunt had shingles at 90 years old.  She said it was no big deal.  The dr. gave her an anti-biotic and it cleared up.  Everyone is different.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut: You're right. I've begun to pay more attention to my health as of late, because I have to!  But, I have to admit that most of my life, I didn't!  I went through life working hard, raising children, etc., as if I were invincible!! Now, my doctor tells me I am not!!  So, now, I'm listening....

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@hckynut: You're right. I've begun to pay more attention to my health as of late, because I have to!  But, I have to admit that most of my life, I didn't!  I went through life working hard, raising children, etc., as if I were invincible!! Now, my doctor tells me I am not!!  So, now, I'm listening....

Good for you @Foolywooly11. It is never too late to make changes in ones way of life concerning their health, both physically and mentally. Very happy you are working on what will probably be better for you.

I wish the you best in being successful at achieving your intended goals.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This is the article that Kachina quoted from and was in The Daily Mail, Reuters and Medical News today.

http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2017/06/30/12/05/does-shingles-increase-the-risk-of...

Here's my thoughts -- this was research done in South Korea and published in a letter in the Journal of American College of Cardiology. 

The younger a person is,  researchers found an increased likelihood of stroke. As each year went by, after the shingles incident, the risk decreased over time. Read the above article.

Meanwhile, CDC says if you are 60 or older, get the shingles vaccine as it does live (the chickenpox virus) inside your body and can manifest itself as shingles at a later age if you had chicken pox as a child. 

Another thing, if you never had chicken pox and are exposed to someone who has shingles, you can get chicken pox from that person!

I remember taking care of someone hospitalized for shingles and being the only day shift nurse who could do so because I had had chicken pox as a child, another nurse was pregnant and the third nurse never had chicken pox as a child!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

My Aunt had shingles at 90 years old.  She said it was no big deal.  The dr. gave her an anti-biotic and it cleared up.  Everyone is different.

An antibiotic kills bacterial infections not viral which is what shingles is, a virus. My Grandmother had shingles and pain on 1 side of the body -- it's very painful as it emerges from the dorsal nerve roots.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼