Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Shingles Increases the Risk of Heart Attack by 40%

@Kachina624 wrote:

Getting shingles may increase your risk of a heart attack, stroke or other heart problems by as much as 40 percent, according to new research.

The virus, which like chickenpox is caused by herpes zoster, causes a painful rash that appears in stripes across the torso, following nerve lines.

However, it may not always be skin deep.

Researchers at Asan Medical Center in Seoul, South Korea, warn that the shingles virus may move through the skin and directly attack and inflame blood vessels, as well as certain nerves.

The shingles virus may move through the skin and directly attack and inflame blood vessels, as well as certain nerves, leading to blood clots that increase the risk of a heart attack by 40%. 

Inflamed blood vessels may cause the blood to clot, setting the stage for a heart attack or stroke. Inflammation of nerves can cause the severe pain, called post-herpetic neuralgia, that often accompanies shingles.

But vaccination can help prevent shingles, study author Dr. Sung-Han Kim said.

Individuals should talk with their doctors about preventing shingles 'until further studies elucidate the effect of vaccination on cardiovascular outcomes,' Kim said.

@Kachina624

I cannot get the shingles vaccine because I have autoimmune diseases and am on steroids (prednisone).  I would be more likely to get shingles from the shot than if I take my chances without the vaccine.

There is recent controversy on this, some doctors want to "try it anyway," I suppose to see if one does get shingles after the vaccine.  However, I would not participate in their trials at this age.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

OMG ....   Who WOULDN'T want to get a shingles shot?

I've heard it's very painful, and who wants to risk it when you can prevent it with the shot?   

Regular Contributor

An elderly friend got shingles many years ago when she was in her mid 80's.  Only a few

of the lesions surfaced, the rest remained internal.  She suffered for at least 3 years with terrible pain.  She was given oral medications, creams and injections that did little to relieve her pain.  The area affected was below her rt. breast to above her hip. She wore housecoats and loose-fitting dresses because she could not stand anything with a waistband.  Her dr. referred her to a pain management dr. who gave her different meds along with meditation therapy and I believe acupuncture, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Over time she got better but stress and even something like a cold would bring back some discomfort.  She passed at the age of 94.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@151949 wrote:

DH & I went to get a shingles shot. We had already paid and everything when the pharmacist noticed I was allergic to latex. He couldn't give me the shot because it was in a latex container. I went to a different pharmacist who told me yes, the container is latex and I'd have to order it special in a glass container that would cost me an additional $200 - on top of the $95 co pay for the vaccine.I didn't get it.My doctor said it isn't necessary since he can give me an effective antivirus if I get shingles.

@151949   WOW! They really want to take advantage of people.  

@SeaMaiden, Heads up, that is not accurate information.   The vaccine is not supplied in a latex container and hasn't been for years.  The vaccine isn't contraindicated for those with latex allergy.

source example:

image.jpeg

(source:  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/latex-table.pdf)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@151949 wrote:

DH & I went to get a shingles shot. We had already paid and everything when the pharmacist noticed I was allergic to latex. He couldn't give me the shot because it was in a latex container. I went to a different pharmacist who told me yes, the container is latex and I'd have to order it special in a glass container that would cost me an additional $200 - on top of the $95 co pay for the vaccine.I didn't get it.My doctor said it isn't necessary since he can give me an effective antivirus if I get shingles.

@SeaMaiden, Heads up, that is not accurate information.   The vaccine is not supplied in a latex container and hasn't been for years.  The vaccine is in no way contraindicated for those with latex allergy.

source example:

image.jpeg

(source:  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/latex-table.pdf)

@dooBdoo  I guess her phamacist was wrong then? What is a person to believe?

Respected Contributor

A little more on the initial report, from Reuters:

"The odds of stroke were especially high in people age 40 or younger, whose risk was 3.74 times that of peers without a history of shingles."

and:

"Dr. Talia Swartz, an assistant professor of infectious diseases at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City, said the findings are consistent with previous studies linking shingles with heart attack and stroke.

"Nevertheless, the study has some limitations, she told Reuters Health. There may have been undocumented differences between patients in the two groups, as well as differences in shingles severity among those who got the disease. In addition, the incidence of shingles in people under age 65 is much higher in the study than in the U.S., and so the findings may not hold true here.

"In the U.S., shingles rates in people under 40 are expected to fall because so many were vaccinated for chickenpox as children, and rates are low in those who had the chicken pox vaccine, she said by email."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@SeaMaiden, Heads up, that is not accurate information.   The vaccine is not supplied in a latex container and hasn't been for years.  The vaccine isn't contraindicated for those with latex allergy.

source example:

image.jpeg

@dooBdoo  I guess her phamacist was wrong then? What is a person to believe?

@SeaMaiden,  All I can tell you is that she began posting this misinformation a long time ago, on just about every thread that I've seen discussing this particular vaccine, and each time someone has corrected her.   It's misinformation being repeated, for whatever reason, and it bothers me to see it continue to show up and possibly scare some people away from even considering protecting themselves with this vaccine.   I suppose the answer to your question is:   we have to be very, very careful about how we use anecdotal medical advice given by anonymous posters.  (eta:   Also, we can see the packaging info and package inserts in person or online, updated and complete.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

While I know they are very knowledgable, I would never get a shot from a pharmacist .....   well, only as a last resort!

Honored Contributor

The most recent pharmaceutical commercial that even had my very mainstream gastroenterologist shaking his head is the new vaccine for meningitis B, being touted for a very rare type of meningitis that attacks infants and small children.  Even though they have to admit this disease is very rare, they still emphasize "Moms . . . don't wait!" at the end of the commercial.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 I read about that while I had Shingles. I think it said something about a higher risk up to 6 months after it's over. My rash is gone but I still have some pain, numbness, tingling. I have been using infrared heat then started using the DPL Flex XL light therapy pad which has really been helping. It was expensive but well worth it. It will be 9 wks Thurs since this started. I will be glad when it's all gone since I'm so sick of it. At least when I wake up in the morning now I feel like it's gone but as the day goes on the pain, numbness & tingling start. At least it's to the point where I can tolerate it. Now I need to see about stopping the gabapentin to see how things go. Not ready to try that yet.

When I first say the doctor I told him I thought I had Shingles & he said no because there was no rash. My rash appeared a week after the pain started. Since he said not Shingles I asked well am I having a heart attack or is it indigestion or heartburn since that's what it felt like when it first started. Even during the Shingles I thought something else was going on because it was so painful.