Trusted Contributor

Re: Get headaches with drastic changes in temperature

[ Edited ]

@Katyq wrote:

Mostly when it gets colder and Advil does not help. Does anyone else have this problem? This weather is killing me!

I don't remember you stating where you live but it does make a HUGE difference. I am sorry for your suffering as I understand it all too well. I have been plagued with this for 35 years. Many things play into it, but after 30 years of tests, medicines, treatments, Physical Therapy,  all of the available "works", etc. I can say one thing is consistent and it is about the weather. These types of headaches are created by certain changes in the barometric pressure where you live. Trust me on this !  Allergies also play a specific part if you suffer from them. I live in an area that is one of the top 5 allergen regions in America. My city is also in a "pit". But the consistant key is barometric pressure. Begin keeping a daily journal of what you eat and do, but always catch the weather on your TV and record the morning, noon, and evening pressures if you can.

Do this long enough and you will see a definitive pattern. Record onset and relief of headaches also. Incoming storms of various kind all year will affect the barometric pressure and your head.

There are things you can do to help help these problems but you won't 

get rid of them completely, but you can make them tolerable without suffering gravely as you may be now. It involves medicines, usually prescription, heat and cold applications, (heat works better for me) sleeping with a humidifier, having one in the major living area in your house. Also, you may need to wear some type of cold weather mask over your nostrils in cold and damp weather, and keep your head and ears covered in damp and cold weather. Even changes in air conditioning at times in summer ( in malls, etc.) can affect me. You have to become a good and close observant of all that goes on  around you but journaling it all will prove what bothers you the most.

See a neurologist for help, and also rule out with one that you don't suffer also from fibromyalgia, as I do. That compounds it.

I pray you will see a physician and journal your way to answers. I understand your suffering and will say a pray for you when I close this post.

Blessings and good luck to you.Woman Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

The change in the barometric pressure has a LOT to do with it.    I can feel my steel "spare parts" aching...............

I have the same problem.  I can tell a weather change is coming because I get a headache beforehand.  I was told it's the barometic pressure.  Sometimes a Tylenol will work, but not always.

Respected Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

I don't get headaches, but all my teeth ache!  I've been to the dentist so many times, and he has never found anything wrong.  It happens each year when it goes from cold to warm weather and vice versa.  My teeth and gums ache...sometimes on the left side, sometimes the right.  Sometimes the top, sometimes the bottom.  How weird is that?

I feel your pain (no pun intended).  I have the same problem.  Just the pressure of chewing sometimes hurts my teeth.

Honored Contributor

I get a headache when I get too cold and found that putting a hat on stops the headache. I wear a hat inside when it's very cold and sleep with a chemo cap on during cold nights.

I also get headaches when there's a big barometric pressure change. You may want to keep an eye on the barometer and see if your changes are linked to temperature changes or barometric pressure changes. Barometric pressure changes can trigger tension headaches, migraines, cluster headaches, and others. I can usually relieve mine with sinus medication.

You should keep a log of your headaches and include the temperature, barometric pressure, and anything else you can think of that might be related and then visit your doctor with your log.

Valued Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

I don't get headaches, but all my teeth ache!  I've been to the dentist so many times, and he has never found anything wrong.  It happens each year when it goes from cold to warm weather and vice versa.  My teeth and gums ache...sometimes on the left side, sometimes the right.  Sometimes the top, sometimes the bottom.  How weird is that?

Believe it or not, this is not weird.  The nerves in your sinuses extend down into your jaw.    It's all connected.  From time to time I get sinus headaches.  When they're more severe, my teeth ache, top and bottom, and my gums feel tender and sore.  Perhaps you have a mild imflammation of either those facial nerves or your sinuses, but not enough to cause a headache.  If it bothers you enough, you might want to see an eye-ear-nose-throat doctor.  Did your dentist mention your sinuses?  If not, I'm surprised.  FYI, I am not a medical professional.  I'm just giving you my experience with dental pain that's not attributed to dental problems,

Contributor

OMG, me too!  these winter temperature fluctuations are the worst.  Cold, cool, warmish, cold, cool warmish.  I don't have the problems in the summer.   I use OTC sinus medication, which seems to do the trick.  When the headaches are at their worst, I am only able to dull them.  It takes a couple of days of taking the sinus medication to knock them out completely.