Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Hi @LilacTree, I just mentioned gadolinium in another thread -- can't remember which one.  As @gracie2014 alluded to, you'll want to make sure your kidney can "handle" the gadolinium by having blood work done in advance. I don't know if gadolinium presents any problem for the liver, however.

I know you live in NJ and perhaps you are near a major medical center. Please check to see if they have a fast spin technology MRI. A number of years ago, my doc wanted a contrast MRI and I didn't want to risk the gadolinium, so I researched and found this technology at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC. They assured me it was as accurate as a contrast MRI.

With all those prescribed tests, maybe you could start with the least invasive ones like the ultrasounds, which could reveal your problem. Then you won't even have to have an MRI. ?

Also, the breath test would be for H.pylori if I'm not mistaken. That certainly could be a cause for your problems and it is treatable.

Best wishes.

@SaRina

I just read about some of these new MRI techniques the other day.  Much as I love him, obviously my gastro doc has not?  For now I will simply not get the gado.  If because of that they can't diagnose, then I'll ask him about these other methods.

I live eight miles from Philly (as the bird flies).  There are many excellent hospitals there and I'll bet some of them have this type of MRI.  I will not take the gado.  I have before and have not become sick, but I wasn't as fragile then as I am now.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

lilac--no symptoms at all. Liver enzymes always normal and was  never told to go beyond the many scans I had before before my chemo rounds. Never the word cyctic was used either. I still go see onc dr every 6 months and get blood work done too. So far all is fine.

Respected Contributor

I have digestive issues in which all organs of that system are involved.  In my case it is due to lack of seritonin which only anti depressants helped.which I doubt if most doctors even understand.  (only a Dr. at NIH could help me)  However, since I have been having acupuncture,my digestive system is much better. ( Please don't laugh if you haven't tried it, I wasn't convinced  at first either.I do need regular treatments which is covered by some insurances)

Honored Contributor

@HiLo

I certainly wouldn't laugh.  I looked into it and just can't afford it, as Medicare does not pay and I have no other insurance. 

@HiLo wrote:

I have digestive issues in which all organs of that system are involved.  In my case it is due to lack of seritonin which only anti depressants helped.which I doubt if most doctors even understand.  (only a Dr. at NIH could help me)  However, since I have been having acupuncture,my digestive system is much better. ( Please don't laugh if you haven't tried it, I wasn't convinced  at first either.I do need regular treatments which is covered by some insurances)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

lilac--no symptoms at all. Liver enzymes always normal and was  never told to go beyond the many scans I had before before my chemo rounds. Never the word cyctic was used either. I still go see onc dr every 6 months and get blood work done too. So far all is fine.

@wagirl

Excellent, wagirl!!  I hope I'm as fortunate . . . although I do have many symptoms and liver enzymes are high, and breath test showed bacteria.  But I am still hopeful whatever is wrong is treatable.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@cherry My father was diagnosed with chronic gastritis last year.

He had no symptoms, no pains, no issues with going to the bathroom, no indigestion, etc.

It was found during a endoscopy (I think or some other test) to see if he had Celiac--one sister has it.

He's not on any medications for it and doctor didn't even tell him to watch his diet.  But we've all read that he shouldn't have onions, garlic, tomatoes, spicy foods.  I can't think of what more.

If it's chronic-does that mean it won't ever go away?  Do you know?  I'm worried sick because I heard it coud be a precursor to other things.

He follows the diet except for the tomatoes--he still grows them and eats them!

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree We all make mistakes. I've always eaten pretty healthy but also a lot of sweets. I'm not even 60 but I will take my health much more seriously now. Live and learn! 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm  I don't have any answers for you. Mine was brought on by taking asprin, and an antiboitic on an empty stomach. I followed the instructions on the scrip lable and It was wrong.  I should have taken it with food. I will never take an antibiotic on an empty stomach again

I has really bad pain with mine, but it's gone now. You might  tell him not to take nsaids  for pain but to use tylenol instead. Thats what I was told. 

I would call the Drs office and  ask about his condition

Honored Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

@LilacTree We all make mistakes. I've always eaten pretty healthy but also a lot of sweets. I'm not even 60 but I will take my health much more seriously now. Live and learn! 

@Lori Kaye

I think there's a quip that "you are what you eat."  I totally believe in that, and I have always been a sugar (particularly chocolate) freak.  I still eat sugar, but much less so.

I really don't think that has caused my illnesses.  I have never read that any autoimmune disease (including diabetes) is caused by sugar.  Of course, after being diagnosed with diabetes, sugar has to be very controlled.

Hopefully, what is found can be treated by diet.  Chronic diseases are never "curable," but they can be controlled if they are not too far gone.  I've had all of my "stuff" for many years now.  So I'm probably going to be a hard nut to crack.  Just have to wait and see.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTreeThe print on your post is so small.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.