Occasional Contributor

I had RNY Gastric Bypass over 11 years ago. I had Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea. It is the best decision I have ever made for myself.

I used to weight 325 and now it weight 120, more important, I am healthy.

My diabetes is in remission and all my other health have gone away. 

I work very hard to maitain my weight loss, the obesity in my head never goes away, I have learned to control it through behavior changes.

The Gastric Sleeve is very popular, they remove about 75 % of your stomach.

Both are useful tools, you just have to use the tool.

I now  am employed by the group of surgeons that do Bariatric surgery, as a patient advocate.

One of the surgeons I work for did my Bypass 11 years ago and I will always be grateful for the tool he gave me to help me save my life.

Bariatric surgery is a last resort.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gastric Sleeve

[ Edited ]

@StillFuntoShop

MS can be greatly diminished, if not cured, with a low fat, whole foods, plant-based diet.   Plus losing weight is so easy!!

Meat, animal products, milk, cheese, oil...they are all contributing to the disease (MS).  Any plant-based Doctor will support that message.

My doctor of choice is Dr. John McDougall. He's been supporting the plant-based message for health since the 70's. What we put in our mouth affects us in so many different ways. Plant based eating is such a simple, effective, cheap, ethical way to cure so many illnesses. Unfortunately traditional doctors will not support plant-based eating. In Med school, doctors are only given a handful of nutritional training. Being a doctor is a business...Big Business. Too much to be made with surgeries, medications, etc...keep us sick & keep the medical system in business.

Here's an hour long lecture by Dr. McDougall specially talking about MS...the definition, the causes and the cure. I also linked a website from Nutrition Facts (giving research references, etc) with several MS short videos...again, giving the same plant-based message.

McDougall's main site has NUMEROUS success stories....even those curing MS.   Let me know if you're interested in those links.  If so, I'll post.

Remember, low fat, whole foods, plant based is the way.

Good to hear all avenues before making your decision.

Knowledge is power!
Good luck!

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/multiple-sclerosis/

http://youtu.be/fmZdI8jinIw

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had gastric bypass surgery in June 2010. I  lost  140+ lbs. It changed my life. I had zero health issues before my surgery except arthritis and asthma. I was just very fat. Health issues would have eventually popped up.My asthma is better and I am sure my arthritis would be worse had I continued on my path of eating. I am now a walker/runner and I row as well. I am very careful about my food and still measure and weigh things. I was given a tool to control my eating and I am grateful every day to my wonderful Dr and his staff. It is really easy for others who haven't weighed as much as I did and struggled with overeating to say weight loss surgery is not a solution. I do respect anyone's choice to eat a plant based diet,but it is not always the way.  My teeth are actually pretty awesome and I rarely throw up because I monitor my  choices and portions.  I do have friends who have had this surgery and have gained weight over time. They do not follow the guidelines given by their surgeon and nutritionist. They don't exercise. They still drink  sugary drinks and alcohol regularly.The hardest thing is I can never take any pain meds with ibuprofen. It can cause ulcers in the pouch. My arthritis pain must be controlled by Tylenol....which is a joke. But it is still worth it even with the pain. I am so happy and I would do it again in a snap. So that is my personal experience. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

Over the years I have had several friends who had bypass, the sleeve etc.  None of them is slim, at least one is even more morbidly obese than before her procedure.  They have all had many other (unusual for their age) health issues.  The most common across the board is with their teeth.  The necessity of dentures in your forties is way beyond my comprehension!

@patbz

As  I said in my other post, the Roux-en-Y/Sleeve or Lap Band are ONLY A TOOL for those that want to lose and maintain a certain weight. Anyone that goes through any of these invasive procedures that believes otherwise? Their chances of being successful are very slim.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Everyone is different. The OVERALL success rate for maintaining weight loss is very low, but obviously you have to LOSE the weight before you tackle the problem of MAINTAINING weight loss.

Some people do extremely well doing very low carb/moderate fat, some do very well on extremely low fat/plant based, some w. Paleo style eating, some concentrating on high fiber etc. some people with a great deal of weight to lose need to change eating plans periodically to maintain effective loss.

It is part of a successful loser/maintainer's job to OWN what they are doing, feel committed to it, and feel confident and comfortable with its success.

Do your research and ask yourself what you can do that will help you be healthier, more active, and stronger.

I have a cousin who had a stomach stapling years ago, and regained. She then had a Gastric Sleeve, and is now "thin". She knows that part of her work-in-progress is obeying the eating rules she sets for herself.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

There are a million reasons NOT to have surgery.

Chances of regaining the weight is very high with bariatric surgery.

Sure, you'll get the success story here/there, but your life is never the same.

When you post came up, I shared it with a good friend of mine.

She lost over 200 lbs eating a plant-based diet.

No surgery.

And this success story is not usual at all in my plant-based world.

I could give you more success stories than you can imagine...

all while eating real food, without restriction. 

@StillFuntoShop

May I ask why you are considering?

Just weight?   Or are there underlying health issues?

@sidsmom- ITA and I admire your conviction to promoting this lifestyle. Please, people- at least consider this information!

This is major surgery on high risk patients. It has a low rate of success when the patient has no complications. It's a nightmare when things go wrong. I've seen it myself when I worked ICU.

Honored Contributor

@Lacey1

Thank you for your kind words....that really means a lot! 🌺🌼❤️

Honored Contributor

Rosie O'Donnell had a gastric sleeve operation.  She said she lost 50 pounds.   Lisa Lampenelli also had gastric sleeve surgery and lost 100+ pounds.

Respected Contributor

I had RNY surgury in 2001..lost 100 pounds , gained 8 back.  I have never regretted it.  It was the best health decision I have ever made for myself.  You will never regret it.

Honored Contributor

@StillFuntoShop

I talked with my wife about her cousin that had the Sleeve Surgery. She had the surgery in January and has lost 40!bs in less than 3 months. Like the Roux-en-Y Bypass surgery, she is not hungry, and has had no problems post-surgery.

Thought I would give you this update after talking with my wife about her and her cousin sharing their Bypass experiences.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)