Honored Contributor

Re: Garlic - Are You Allergic ??

I am allergic to garlic and get sick for hours.  The severe burning in my intestines and stomach can have me doubled over; also I have uncontrollable violent and explosive diarrhea and vomiting that lasts for hours.  Sometimes its hard to tell when garlic is in your food.  Going out to eat can be a scary experience - I have asked waiter/waitresses if garlic is in food and they don't know so have to go ask the chef.  I have been told that I would have to not eat at a restaurant because of my garlic allergy.  Also called a restaurant ahead of time once and was assured they could accommodate my garlic allergy and when I got there with a group of people to have lunch, I was given a bowl of Kale with dressing on it.  That was their idea of accommodating me.  It's hard and do understand the problem of eating certain foods, even foods/dishes you think are safe, you find out they are not. 

Some people are more allergic to fresh garlic than powdered.  Its hard and makes going out to eat or eating at someone's house difficult as you have to be proactive and call ahead of time.  When going to someone's house, I also remind people ahead of time.  

I'm so sorry that you had this happen to you.  I know how upsetting and scary it is.

Esteemed Contributor

I have many food sensitivities, one of them being garlic which makes me nauseous.  It would be scary to have a racing heart.  Do you carry Benadryl?  I always keep some with me because I never know when I might react to something.   

Honored Contributor

Food allergies are the pits!   I had issues from childhood, but my allergies weren’t diagnosed until my early 30’s.   All common things I’ve eaten my entire life; corn, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, citrus, milk, and egg whites.   I have the most problems with milk, egg whites, and citrus.   I also have major sensitivities to mushrooms, olives, and strawberries.   A mushroom the size of a pencil eraser in a casserole, caused me to vomit violently, and is exactly why I don’t eat other people’s cooking.   

Esteemed Contributor

Don't think I am allergic to garlic, but I can't stand to smell or taste.  Never been tested!!  It actually makes my stomach churn and I get nauseated.  Living in the Southwest where so much food is cooked with garlic, I have a tough time eating out.  And onion does the same thing to me!!

Esteemed Contributor

Probably not the garlic, quite possibly the fish or the way the dish was prepared. @cbrite 

Contributor

Wow, I have never heard of another person who gets sick from raw onions and garlic.  Me too, and people look at me like I have lost my mind if I tell them about my problem with onions and garlic. I don't think they believe me and think I am either lying or exaggerating.  I can't even eat onions on pizza, because they are not cooked enough.  I have had this for so long, that I even hate the smell of them.

I realize that most people love them!

Respected Contributor

No I'm not allergic to it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite 

If you were actually tachycardic, you should have been taken to an E.R., regardless of the reason and your stated self-ability to control it, which took an hour!  You could have experienced an additional cardic episode from which you may not have recovered.

Take TACHYCARDIA VERY SERIOUSLY, regardless of the cause.