Super Contributor

Re: Gall stone question/surgery?

I really appreciate all the responses.

I am set to meet with a surgeon. I'm curious what he will say about removing it.

As of now I haven't had the hard horrible pains but it sounds like it can happen anytime.

Trusted Contributor

It's probably been about ten years or so now that I had gallbladder surgery. Easily the easiest surgery I ever had and, yes, it completely resolved the pain with no side effects or problems. I never had the diarrhea problems that some people have, nor have I ever had any pain from "hidden" stones (evidently they don't take the duct; they just take the gallbladder and, sometimes, stones can "hide" inside the little duct).

The doctor thinks that, in my case, the gallbladder got inflamed from me losing 76 pounds in about six months. He said that often happens with rapid weight loss.

I kept telling DH, "You know, I don't feel bad, but I don't feel good either." And that went on for about two months, until it really hit. Then I thought I might be having a heart attack; my pain was centered right below my chest, but also around into my back. Ended up in the ER where they put me on morphine for the pain and did an ultrasound as they suspected gall bladder issues, and that showed a bladder full of stones and grit.

My surgeon's receptionist called me the following day and said, "If you come in Monday morning for surgery, doctor says you'll be eating pizza by Friday!" I started laughing and said, "Good enough!" He did the surgery that Monday morning, I was home late Monday afternoon, and my dinner on Friday was pizza.

I've never been bothered by any after-effects or anything. I can eat spicy, greasy, pretty much anything and have no problems. Simplest thing I ever had done.

Super Contributor

Had surgery on my birthday about 3-4 years ago. It was an easy surgery. No problems until about a year ago. I am not totally sure it is due to the absence of the Gall Bladder, but when I have to go to the bathroom, I get abdominal rumblings, cramping and I'd better be close to a bathroom fast. This usually happens if I eat too big a meal.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

A colleague of mine had gall bladder surgery, and she had the same thing as OP described. Lots of cramping after a meal, especially one that was high in fat.

Valued Contributor

Go to amazon and search Planetary Herbals Stone Free and read the reviews. This helped my husband and very quickly and easily.

Valued Contributor

On 11/11/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

During my first pregnancy I started having pain, but didn't know what to attribute it to. A month after delivery, I had an episode that wouldn't quit. Long story short, ultrasound revealed stones, which I apparently had during the pregnancy, so I had surgery (old school slice across my belly). I had a lot of emotional stuff going on at the time, and for a little while after I was back home, but overall I am glad I had it done. I've said many times that I'd go through the pain of childbirth ten times rather than experience that gall bladder pain again.

If you want to try to manage it with diet, you need eliminate fats or go extremely low fat.

Our stories are pretty similar. I, too, had several short episodes of pain during my third pregnancy. About a month after delivering the baby I had a severe gallbladder attack. Long story short I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically. The surgery was easy Peasy. I was told that certain foods might be a problem for me after the surgery but I haven't ever had any problems. Everyone will have a different experience.
Super Contributor

Anyone who is having laparoscopic surgery:

Please Please Please clean out your belly button before surgery!

I am an operating room RN and when I have to clean a dirty belly button I almost throw up.

OR RN's see and do a lot of gross things but one of the worst is removing years of debris from the patient's navel.

Sorry if that was TMI.

Valued Contributor

So wish I had surgery now, I had a very bad case of gall stones when I was 16, I had the old time surgery which was PAIN. Now a days as a nurse There is very little pain and a lot of time you are discharged same day.
Valued Contributor

So wish I had surgery now, I had a very bad case of gall stones when I was 16, I had the old time surgery which was PAIN. Now a days as a nurse There is very little pain and a lot of time you are discharged same day.
Valued Contributor