Super Contributor

Gall stone question/surgery?

I want to say first YES I have seen doctors and will continue to do so.

Have any of you had your gallbladder removed because of gallstones. If so, did the problems you had resolve? Are you happy or not that you did the surgery?

I just learned I have stones. They were discovered by an ultra sound. I don't have major problems now and was surprised I have them.

Is there a diet that you need to follow?

Honored Contributor

Re: Gall stone question/surgery?

I had my gall bladder removed in August. I didn't have stones though. I had a polyp on my bile duct. I was always nauseous and always felt bloated/full.

The surgery was in the morning and I was home that afternoon. I had it removed laparoscopically with a few small incisions that were taped (no sutures).

I had mild discomfort that night and into the next day and I ate very light foods that were easy to digest. I did notice that my stomach was swollen for about a week.

I eat a very healthy diet - lean meats and veggies mostly. I don't eat a lot of fried foods or greasy foods. That's best to avoid after having your gall bladder removed.

Honored Contributor

Years and years ago, before there was laproscopy, I had my gallbladder removed. I'd had pain when a stone became lodged in a duct. Horrific pain, so I was okay with surgery.

In those days, gallbladder surgery meant a week in hospital, and even today I'd choose that over my pain. What I don't know is what the risk is that your stones might move into a duct. That, as well as any other possible side effects of having "silent" stones, you'd have to get from someone more knowledgeable than I am.

I had no negative effects after the surgery once that big wound healed - although had I been a bikini wearer before the operation, I would not have been after. Not a problem with laproscopy though.

Honored Contributor

During my first pregnancy I started having pain, but didn't know what to attribute it to. A month after delivery, I had an episode that wouldn't quit. Long story short, ultrasound revealed stones, which I apparently had during the pregnancy, so I had surgery (old school slice across my belly). I had a lot of emotional stuff going on at the time, and for a little while after I was back home, but overall I am glad I had it done. I've said many times that I'd go through the pain of childbirth ten times rather than experience that gall bladder pain again.

If you want to try to manage it with diet, you need eliminate fats or go extremely low fat.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I had my gall bladder removed last year because I had stones and was in a lot of pain. It was absolutely the easiest surgery I've ever had. I had 4 small ( 1/2") incisions which healed very quickly. I had no discomfort at all. I have found, however, that I should not eat many high fat foods. If I do, I feel sick and get a lot of gas. So you learn what you can safely eat. I highly recommend this surgery because of the strides that have been made with laparoscopic surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember when friends and co-workers would have their gall bladders removed decades ago, they were told to stay on a special diet for the rest of their lives. That isn't the case anymore.

My gall bladder was removed 3 years ago laparoscopically - 2 teensy incisions and I was back home by noon. Easy peezy. I did not have stones but other internal problems -- my symptoms stopped immediately after surgery. I asked about having to be on a diet and was told that wasn't necessary. Both my doc and the surgeon told me that a special diet following gall bladder removal is not necessary.

I went back to work 3 days after surgery and never had any ill effects. Guess I was lucky.

Good luck to you!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I've been to so many doctors in the last 6 months I can't count anymore. Not one thought gallstones.

IBS, was one diagnosis and anxiety was the most diagnosed with me. Of course I have anxiety big time now because when a doctor tells you that is what you have, you get it!

I had a CT scan due to the pain of ibs and then an endoscopy ultra sound and that doctor saw the gallstones.

I have weird pains, can't eat certain foods etc. So far it has not been very bad that I am ready to do anything. I do have an appt. with a surgeon though to discuss my future.

It's funny when my problems first started my mother suggested gallbladder problems. Moms know best!

Thanks for the replies here!

Honored Contributor

I did a few years ago. I was experiencing extreme pain and sometimes vomiting before the surgery. After the surgery, I was back to normal. There's no special diet for after, but your body will not be able to process fats the same way, so if you eat a lot of greasy, fatty foods often, you will get diarrhea. Just be careful and don't eat pizza or burgers every night and you should be fine. Smiley Happy

My surgery was quick and they let me stay in the hospital overnight, which was good because I live alone. The next few days I had to take it easy, eat bland foods, and there was some pain with movement, especially sitting up from a lying down position, twisting to get the alarm clock, or sneezing/coughing. (For months I held my stomach when I sneezed because it felt like I was going to tear the scar open and my intensiveness would squirt out the hole. That was NOT at all a risk, it just felt like it.) I think I had my surgery on a Tuesday, worked from home on Thursday and Friday and was back in the office on Monday.

Trusted Contributor

I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago because of two big gall stones. I have had no trouble at all and I ate everything that I ate before. Good Luck to you.

Jessa
Esteemed Contributor

In 1992 I was one of the first patients in my area to have laparascopic gall bladder surgery. I had had gall bladder attacks which necessitated the surgery. Everything went very well. I've had no problems. I try to eat healthfully although I admit my yearly trips to France are not low fat. Nevertheless, eating well, exercising, keeping my weight within nornal range all help to keep me feeling well. Bottom line is find a surgeon who has done many of these procedures and follow instructions for diet & exercise and you should be fine.