Regular Contributor
Can anyone tell me about recovery for this surgery
Honored Contributor

Mine was done in 2008---had a miserable month before surgery . The surgery was a day one for me and done by a robot--was pretty easy and a little painful but nothing OTC pain meds didn't help. Took me about 2 weeks to go back to work but was up and around right away. I did take it easy, no heavy lifting or huge blow out mealsWoman Wink

Trusted Contributor

Mine was done by laparoscope, so I only had a restriction on lifting anything heavy for a few days.

Other than that, it was a breeze!

Regular Contributor
Thank you all so much
Honored Contributor

I had my gallbladder removed with lapascopic surgery...was home the same day.

I was sent home with pain pills that I never used.  I had no pain.  I spent the next10 days off from work on our boat having a nice relaxing vacation.

I was told I had three very large stones that calcified and they had to be removed whole...they wouldn't break up, so my incision was little bigger than normally it would be.

I had no stitches, just paper steri strips and today, I can't even find where those incisions were.  The scars faded away.

I was getting gall bladder attacks almost every day for months before surgery. It was wonderful to get that gall bladder removed.

If you need the surgery, get it done before it ruptures.  That surgery and recovery is not something you want to go through.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gall bladder surgery

[ Edited ]

Mine was done in 1982 - a long slice on my belly, staples, and a couple of drains.  I was in the hospital for close to a week. No lifting for a few weeks after I got back home.  Your experience will be much easier. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Had the laparoscopic done and it was truly a nonevent.  Finally DD gave up said she was not going to stay the night, so I took the dogs out for their evening stroll.  Only stayed home from work for the next day.

Valued Contributor

The surgery was nothing, back at work after a few days.

It was afterwards, because the gall bladder is gone, you may have to watch what you eat.

Limit fried foods, anything fatty, lots of veggies and a sensible diet. Otherwise you might have some gastro troubles.

Respected Contributor

@Mom in NY If I had known I would eventually have a major gallbladder attack that caused pancreatitis (yes, in January), I would have had my GB taken out long ago. It was quite serious.

So, while I had a rough ride for a bit, I was finally able to schedule surgery. By then, I would have taken it out myself, with a kitchen knife and salad fork...LOL. I wanted it gone!

You'll be fine. I had the robotic surgery and things went smoothly. Went home right after surgery. I had almost zero pain for the first couple of days, then only soreness as things were healing. 

You'll be able to get back to routine activities quickly, but do follow the instructions. Heavy lifting and certain exercise is out for a while. While you will be feeling like taking more on, remember you will still be healing inside. 

Some have GI complaints. I'm one of them. I have to avoid fatty foods, also sweets are affecting me. So a healthy diet for me is a must, which is probably a benefit. But, some can't even tell they're missing their gallbladder. So outcomes can be different, but manageable.

Esteemed Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Mom in NY If I had known I would eventually have a major gallbladder attack that caused pancreatitis (yes, in January), I would have had my GB taken out long ago. It was quite serious.

So, while I had a rough ride for a bit, I was finally able to schedule surgery. By then, I would have taken it out myself, with a kitchen knife and salad fork...LOL. I wanted it gone!

You'll be fine. I had the robotic surgery and things went smoothly. Went home right after surgery. I had almost zero pain for the first couple of days, then only soreness as things were healing. 

You'll be able to get back to routine activities quickly, but do follow the instructions. Heavy lifting and certain exercise is out for a while. While you will be feeling like taking more on, remember you will still be healing inside. 

Some have GI complaints. I'm one of them. I have to avoid fatty foods, also sweets are affecting me. So a healthy diet for me is a must, which is probably a benefit. But, some can't even tell they're missing their gallbladder. So outcomes can be different, but manageable.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I have a similar problem now with mine because I didn't have my gallbladder removed.😔

Now, the Dr even told me after I get it removed, I'll still have to watch out because stones can still form and get lodged in the pancreas ducts.