Super Contributor

GOING FOR AN MRI NEXT WEEK - ANY TIPS??

I have to go for an MRI next week, and I am a little scared.  She asked me if I was chostophic and I said yes!

She said it will take about 30 min in the "tube".

Any suggestions, tips on what will make this easier??

TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: GOING FOR AN MRI NEXT WEEK - ANY TIPS??

You can check to see if there is an OPEN MRI machine available.  If not,  MANY people will take a Valium (your dr will give you a prescription) a little before the test is done.  Ask if they have headphones so you can listen to music. 

Respected Contributor

Keep your eyes closed, imagine you are in a hapoy plave, concentrate on relaxing muscles. I count in my head. It makes the time pass faster.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

I have to go for an MRI next week, and I am a little scared.  She asked me if I was chostophic and I said yes!

She said it will take about 30 min in the "tube".

Any suggestions, tips on what will make this easier??

TIA

Ask for a sedative beforehand. I found the loud noises made by the machine bothersome. I had the "open" MRI. The Tech told me it is louder than the closed MRI.

Someone here mentioned to ask for earmuffs in addition to the ear plugs. I wished I had.

Good luck. It is not a painful procedure or uncomfortable except if you are bothered by a lot of loud clanging. My son has had them and wasn't bothered in the least.....

Esteemed Contributor

i had an open mri.....and took a valium......

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick  Valium helps significantly.  I always find that counting the clinks takes my mind off of the small enclosure also.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick strongly suggest you keep your eyes closed before you enter "the tube" and don't open them until you are out.  Also your MD could prescribe a relaxant.  But still keep you eyes closed.  Some MRI places allow you to bring your favorite cd to listen to while you are in the "tube."

Trusted Contributor

@qvc chick   I have had 4 or 5 MRIs and they always have given me headphones and ask what music I would like to listen to.  Twice I actually fell asleepSmiley Happy, wasn't bad at all. Just close your eyes and relax.

Honored Contributor

I've also had a number of them. No big deal. I was given headphones and they asked what type of music I wanted.

I closed my eyes before going in and kept them closed. I actually fell asleep during one.

Honored Contributor

Much ado is made of this procedure when there's nothing to it.  You lie there, the machine bangs away, it finishes, you get up and go home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment