Honored Contributor

Fun or unusual weight loss aides

My son is trying to loose weight but he is not doing too well.i thought I wouls send him a few tools to inspire and help him along the way.I just sent him the nutribullet because it comes with a recipe book that has healthy ideas.I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for my next surprise aide to his journey...perhaps something that worked well for you to simplify or make weight loss a lot more promising.I want him to get the feeling of sucess to be inspired to continue even though it can be slow to see progress.
Honored Contributor

Re: Fun or unusual weight loss aides

My DH is on nutrisystem....fun??? I don't know, but he has lost 15 pounds in about three weeks...he eats the prepackaged meals and has as much fruit and veggies as he wants....he doesn't have to think about it. My DS does not eat enough fruit so I blend a smoothie for him every am.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

How about the FitBit that so many are into.
Honored Contributor

Does he like the food.It didn't look too appetizing on TV., maybe it tastes better than it looks.
Honored Contributor

He had a Fitbit and lost it as a couple of my friends have also done.They need to make a better strap before I purchase again.You are right though it is a fun tool.
Honored Contributor

Have him carry around a 5 lb bag of potatoes. That will help him if he looses it, if he doesn't it will make him realize how much it really is (from Weight Watchers).

They also said to get your food (put it on a small plate). Don't sit near the extra food. Don't get up immediately. Find something to take your mind off of the food (it takes time for your brain to realize it is full and send it to the stomach (or vice-versa).

Respected Contributor

I know this sounds so simplistic: cut down on portion size. I AM GUILTY of not following my own advice. Any doctor I have seen from my teens to my 61 years have always stressed "portion control". Eat everything, just less and loads of fruits and veggies.

Again...if we could all practice what we preach. Oh....and get more active which is where another poster suggested a Fit-Bit.

Best of luck to your son. I have been fighting the battle of the bulge for years. My mom told me she knew I was going to have a weight problem as I gained weight when she brought me home from the hospital. She said most babies lose a few ounces after birth - not me!

Valued Contributor

On 4/3/2015 spud188 said: How about the FitBit that so many are into.
good idea
Respected Contributor

Give him the gift of a gym membership or perhaps a personal trainer.

Personally, I eat pretty much the same foods everyday and I read that it is a proven fact that variety sometimes complicates weight loss. The more choices we make the harder it is to stop eating.

I don't have a weight problem but I do fast once a week occasionally. That and a highly saturated diet of fruits, vegetables and protein with a limit on fat keeps me slender and feeling best..

Good luck! I hope your son reaches his goals.

Super Contributor

Spring is coming, he can walk... maybe even walk the dog if he has one... or get a dog if he doesn't :-)