Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fun or unusual weight loss aides

Dex - there really are no gimmicks when it comes to weight loss. The facts: to lose weight, you must give up ALL sugar and eat low carb (the lower the better). And by the way, starches are VERY bad for you; they are identical chemically as sugar in your body. Low fat is also now proven to be a very bad diet. I know these things from not only doing extensive reading from credible medical sources, but also having personally lost 85 I lbs. good luck!
Honored Contributor

You could get one of those divided ""diet"" dinner plates

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2015 tiamaria said:
On 4/3/2015 sidsmom said:

dex: You mentioned several times the word 'healthy'. Anyone can lose weight on a low carb/high protein. The body looks good on the outside, but unfortunately, animal based diets are not the healiest for your insides. They will just create another set of issues down the road w/ the arterial system. There are plenty of male athletes to be used for role models that are plant-based.

High protein diet foods aren't just animal based. South beach diet and the Mediterranean diet are proven to be very healthy. Lean meats, fish, good oils, nuts, legumes, even tofu. High protein low carb diets ARE healthy and they DO work. Atkins, that is not as safe.

"Lean meats, fish, good oil" all do not promote healthy endothelium. Endothelium protects your arterial system. Eating an animal based diet w/ oils of any kind (there's no such things as a 'healthy' oil) continually challenges the endothelium....once it gives way, that's when you have trouble in forms of stroke & heart attacks.

The OP stated 'healthy' several times...if taking the leap of faith w/ a new eating protocol, why not do it 100% the healthy way? Low fat, whole foods, plant based is the healthiest. Start by eating lots of starches & vegetables so not to deprive...key is low fat.

If ones body composition is 30-40-50+(!)% body fat, adding MORE fat through the diet doesn't make sense. Adding oil to everything doesn't do anything...there's no taste, adds a tons of calories & of course, adds more fat to an already fatty body. Eat those calories! Adding more fat is like adding gasoline to an already burning fire.

Respected Contributor

I assume your son is an adult. Your heart is in the right place, dex, but don't push too much at your son. As a mother I completely understand your deep concern. However, in my opinion, you take the power from him when it becomes your project, not his. Weight loss is a personal issue, and if he can figure it out himself, he will be better for it. I'm not saying don't offer suggestions and help, but go easy, Mom! Use a lot of praise and congratulations.

Respected Contributor

On 4/4/2015 sidsmom said:

dex: You mentioned several times the word 'healthy'. Anyone can lose weight on a low carb/high protein. The body looks good on the outside, but unfortunately, animal based diets are not the healiest for your insides. They will just create another set of issues down the road w/ the arterial system. There are plenty of male athletes to be used for role models that are plant-based.

High protein diet foods aren't just animal based. South beach diet and the Mediterranean diet are proven to be very healthy. Lean meats, fish, good oils, nuts, legumes, even tofu. High protein low carb diets ARE healthy and they DO work. Atkins, that is not as safe.

"Lean meats, fish, good oil" all do not promote healthy endothelium. Endothelium protects your arterial system. Eating an animal based diet w/ oils of any kind (there's no such things as a 'healthy' oil) continually challenges the endothelium....once it gives way, that's when you have trouble in forms of stroke & heart attacks.

The OP stated 'healthy' several times...if taking the leap of faith w/ a new eating protocol, why not do it 100% the healthy way? Low fat, whole foods, plant based is the healthiest. Start by eating lots of starches & vegetables so not to deprive...key is low fat.

If ones body composition is 30-40-50+(!)% body fat, adding MORE fat through the diet doesn't make sense. Adding oil to everything doesn't do anything...there's no taste, adds a tons of calories & of course, adds more fat to an already fatty body. Eat those calories! Adding more fat is like adding gasoline to an already burning fire.

Low fat has been proven not to work....otherwise the low fat craze wouldn't have left 66% of Americans either overweight or obese.

There are numerous recent studies presented by cardiologists that sugar is the culprit in coronary artery disease. And with a diet consisting of lots of carbohydrates, eliminating fat and protein, a lot of insulin is necessary which a large number of people who are overweight do not have. The more circulating insulin, the more likely someone will become overweight. Eating lots of potatoes would be the ticket to outright Type 2 diabetes taxing a body that already has too much circulating insulin. Speaking of adding fuel to the fire.....this diet is a recipe for Type 2 diabetes.

Respected Contributor

From Harvard School of Public Health.....

High-carbohydrate, low-fat diets have a negative effect on the fats and cholesterol in our blood: They raise “bad” blood fats (triglycerides) and they lower the “good” blood cholesterol (HDL), both of which can increase the risk of heart disease. These diets also tend to increase blood pressure.

For many people, low-fat diets are not satisfying. People finish a meal and within a few hours, they are hungry again, seeking more low-fat fixes for their hunger. This vicious cycle leads to weight gain and, in turn, to the conditions associated with excess weight (such as blood triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes).

Regular Contributor

On 4/4/2015 sidsmom said:

I am not sure where you get your information from, but I just have to completely disagree. I don't pretend or claim to know it all, but this I know. Starches turn to sugar. Sugar is BAD. Whole grains, lean proteins, legumes, nuts and vegetables are better choices. Everything in moderation. Healthy oils such as olive oil and coconut oil contain more health benefits than many other oils. To use them IN MODERATION is not at all unhealthy. We can go back and forth all day long, but in the end, I am correct. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

ETA to each their own!!! If you are healthy and lose weight the way you state then more power to you!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I thank you all once again and I am now thinking that as one poster suggested I should not get too involved in this but let the journey be his.This is going to be hard for me to let happen as I am a true believer in healthy lifestyles and there is early heart disease for the males in his genes.
Honored Contributor

dex, IMO there are a few things anyone who is making changes could use to get started:

1) proper footwear, for walking or cardio

2) exercise clothing

3) a lunchbox/thermos for packing a healthy lunch

I like this size of Lock & Lock for entrees:

Lock & Lock 6-Piece Multi-Color Nestable Storage Set - K39556

I like Tervis tumblers for drinks and these too:

Clear & Colorful water bottle

(34 oz. from Thermoserv)

4) Ready access to purified water- I have a water service, which helps me get the water I need each day.

5) Access to exercise- neighborhood park or courts, membership at a gym or pool, group exercise classes, home exercise equipment, videos or DVDs, resistance bands, etc.

There are lots of add ons that might help with motivation:

iPod with fast music to keep pace

wristlet or arm band to hold the iPod or phone

scale or Fitbit

free weights

diet/nutrition books/information

Honored Contributor

Thanks lolakimono