Honored Contributor

Re: Fun or unusual weight loss aides

Instead of carrying around the 5lb bag of potatoes, eat them! Starch is great for weight loss! No added fat, full of fiber....everything a sustainable diet needs....secret is no added fat. Add lots of vegetables & fruit, beans & legumes, whole grains & starches and you have yourself a diet that's quick, easy, filling, satisfying & cheap!

I would recommend going online for inspiration. 10-15 years ago, I found Dr. John McDougall's website. There are tons of success stories & videos, an interactive forum & lots of ancillary resources for YouTube videos. His website changed my life.

A low fat, whole foods, plant based diet is the perfect diet for health. One of Dr. McDougall's contributing chefs is Chef AJ. She's a delight to watch. Here's a quick video showing what to eat. For many, a video called "Forks over Knives" is a game changer, as well. I will give you additional materials, if you wish. Good luck to your son!

Chef AJ: Easy Meals To Make You Thin

Honored Contributor

How about a food scale? Portion control is key to losing weight. I have had my small electronic food scale for at least 20 years and I still use it a few times a week.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone..you have given me lots of ideas.I hate to admit but I have never had a weight problem so it is hard for me to help.i want to help my son because I am worried for his health.He has sleep apnea and I just know if he could loose some weight he could feel so much better.
Honored Contributor

Swimming is fun.

Esteemed Contributor

Introduce him to high protein/low carb way of eating. Men love it. They can have lean chicken, beef, a steak, hold the potato and add a salad.

Also send him a link to bodybuilding dot com. Hardbodies? Some but a lot of inspiration from real people.

Skip the Nutrisystem. You have to go back to eating food, eventually.

Honored Contributor

Thanks snow puppy I think you are right about the way men like to eat.i think the web page is a good idea too.I really appreciate all of the help from everyone...thanks you all are very thoughtful.
Trusted Contributor

On 4/3/2015 dex said: He had a Fitbit and lost it as a couple of my friends have also done.They need to make a better strap before I purchase again.You are right though it is a fun tool.
If he had the FitBit with wrist strap, have him try the FitBit One. It clips to the belt, which is supposedly a little more accurate being close to the body. I clip mine to my undies and it holds there really well for me. I am also a Weight Watcher member/service provider. It is a good program for someone who wants to lose and maintain weight loss in the real world. If meetings aren't his thing, he can do it on-line, and the FitBit syncs with your WW account.
Honored Contributor

dex: You mentioned several times the word 'healthy'. Anyone can lose weight on a low carb/high protein. The body looks good on the outside, but unfortunately, animal based diets are not the healiest for your insides. They will just create another set of issues down the road w/ the arterial system. There are plenty of male athletes to be used for role models that are plant-based.

Regular Contributor

On 4/3/2015 sidsmom said:

dex: You mentioned several times the word 'healthy'. Anyone can lose weight on a low carb/high protein. The body looks good on the outside, but unfortunately, animal based diets are not the healiest for your insides. They will just create another set of issues down the road w/ the arterial system. There are plenty of male athletes to be used for role models that are plant-based.

High protein diet foods aren't just animal based. South beach diet and the Mediterranean diet are proven to be very healthy. Lean meats, fish, good oils, nuts, legumes, even tofu. High protein low carb diets ARE healthy and they DO work. Atkins, that is not as safe.

Honored Contributor

There is a overwhelming amount of info out there on how to diet that it is difficult to decide what to do.So much conflicting info too..I have to admire people that have managed the weght loss and found sucess.