Honored Contributor

Re: From NIH...Groups at risk of Vitamin B12 deficiency

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 

The group at greatest risk with the largest need is the group with neurological problems, such as MS, ALS, Parkinson's, trigeminal neuralgia, etc., and are not specifically mentioned in this.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom 

Not sure where the "angst"  you mentioned appears anywhere in the original post........the info I posted from the National Institutes of Health clearly indicates the need for vitamin supplementation in many cases.

When I posted this, I wasn't looking for a critique of information that comes directly from a premier scientific organization, and politely asked in my first sentence not to do exactly what you have done.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  the diabetes news thread is always from experts in the field. It is never my opinion...These people know what they are talking about, and it gets pooh poohed too.. it is useless to reason ,or present facts  to  some people

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 

It's not a debate when the correct information is presented.

Everyone needs to monitor their B12 vitamin...

no matter what nutritional path they take.  

And the easiest, most ethical and most accurate way to

get that needed vitamin is via supplement. 

And 2 threads on the same subject in one day?

Why is this such an important issue for you?

And why tag only me when there are others who support my posts?

Maybe you need to heed your own advice.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My apologies.  I was not aware that sharing information with anyone who is interested, and  no one in particular, about a topic which is of great concern to older people is "baiting".

Please do not consider any future posts to the general audience on these threads to be baiting anyone in particular.  I have no single special person to engage with that way.

And thank you for deleting the "baiting" allegation from your previous post.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I do appreciate the nutritional information, but...everyone is at risk of B12 deficiencies.  I won't go into the details because I don't wish to start a debate.  Many people are low (regardless of the groups mentioned above) in B12 and should be taking it or have it tested to confirm.  Very easy to take a tablet ( I do and I am not a supplement person) just as a preventative.

@phoenixbrd 

Thank you for your participation with this topic.

🌿💚

I always question the source when they mention 'vegetarian'.

That, into itself, screams of old, out-dated thoughts. 

2nd post today from the same poster about B12?

I believe you & I, with our vegan/plant-based thoughts,  

are living rent-free in someone's mind I say to those so obsessed

with this...breathe & let it go. So much mis-information...if all that

time/effort to research the true information,  would see everyone

is at risk of B12 issues. Just a quick 2-second Google search would

yield that information. 

All this angst over a l.i.t.t.l.e. 500mcg tablet which can be taken daily

without taking the life of another sentient being. smh🙄

I did a quick Google search and that is where I found the info from The Mayo Clinic which, for me, is a reliable source.  Also, I DID NOT see any source that mentioned everyone is at risk.  I didn't go past page 1 though.

I get a physical every year to check those things, as should everybody, rather than rushing to take a supplement you have no need for.

I'm in a thyroid group on Facebook and I often see people asking about B supplements for fatigue when their fatigue may very well be from something else, in which case supplementing with B is not going to do anything but pee out.  For me, the fatigue issue was low vitamin D.  Now, that is something that seems to be rampant in today's society with everybody avoiding the sun and wearing sunscreen all the time.  I don't wear sunscreen except for when I work in the yard (which I do a lot of) and I never re-apply, so I should be getting plenty of sun, but I still have to supplement.

Honored Contributor

OK   I think the we're all at risk for everything.  That's why we should eat healthy, take a multivitamin if we don't eat well, get our health maintence exams and yearly physicals and do what our physician's advise.  If a person has a disease or medical condition that puts them at serious risk for something, they already know that.  Their physican has already counselled them and they are already being monitored.  Like with a B12 deficiency.  I am at above average risk because I had a gastric bypass years ago which means I do have malabsorption so they watch my B12 and a few other things.   

Honored Contributor

I hope to see one day where VB12, VD and A1C all become part of a routine screening. As of yet those are added and are not routinely tested and, imo, they should be because any one of those factors can effect anyone, anytime at any age...and it can lead to more serious health problems at some point if left unchecked.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I do appreciate the nutritional information, but...everyone is at risk of B12 deficiencies.  I won't go into the details because I don't wish to start a debate.  Many people are low (regardless of the groups mentioned above) in B12 and should be taking it or have it tested to confirm.  Very easy to take a tablet ( I do and I am not a supplement person) just as a preventative.

@phoenixbrd 

Thank you for your participation with this topic.

🌿💚

I always question the source when they mention 'vegetarian'.

That, into itself, screams of old, out-dated thoughts. 

2nd post today from the same poster about B12?

I believe you & I, with our vegan/plant-based thoughts,  

are living rent-free in someone's mind I say to those so obsessed

with this...breathe & let it go. So much mis-information...if all that

time/effort to research the true information,  would see everyone

is at risk of B12 issues. Just a quick 2-second Google search would

yield that information. 

All this angst over a l.i.t.t.l.e. 500mcg tablet which can be taken daily

@without taking the life of another sentient being. sh

@sidsmom Everyone is at risk of B-12 issues?  No more than everyone is at risk of any issue--and only in that sense.  

To say that everyone is at risk of B-12 issues makes no more sense than saying everyone is at risk of ALL issues  and should take ALL supplements.  And everyone certainly. does not need a B-12 supplement every day.

That's false information.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Don't know why you are singling me out with a tag,

but there many in this forum & several within this thread 

who are in agreement that it's an issue for everyone, so....🤷‍♀️