Honored Contributor

Re: From NIH...Groups at risk of Vitamin B12 deficiency

I just did a quick check of foods high in B12 .... I'm good.

I'm a bit OCD about my diet .... my labs are always fine.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I hope to see one day where VB12, VD and A1C all become part of a routine screening. As of yet those are added and are not routinely tested and, imo, they should be because any one of those factors can effect anyone, anytime at any age...and it can lead to more serious health problems at some point if left unchecked.

My doctor always checks my vitamin levels and she would love to do an A1C on me every time.  I object to the A1C because my insurance doesn't pay for it for me.  It also will not pay for cholesterol testing either for me.  I am on DH's insurance and his insurance will only pay for that bloodwork for the employee, not anyone else on the plan.   

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I hope to see one day where VB12, VD and A1C all become part of a routine screening. As of yet those are added and are not routinely tested and, imo, they should be because any one of those factors can effect anyone, anytime at any age...and it can lead to more serious health problems at some point if left unchecked.

@SilleeMee Luckily, my doctor does test for all of those.  I just had my physical results last week and we went over all that.  Another important one is the test for inflammation.  On my test it's called Myeloperoxidase (MPO), not the same as C-Reactive Protein (CRP) which my doctor does not test for.  This value can be an important predictor of coronary artery disease even if you have good cholesterol levels.  Here's a good article explaining it:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070703172506.htm

Respected Contributor

My new internist checked my B and D levels last time and all was in good shape (over 1000 on B and 60's on D) I do take a D supplement as I have rosacea, prickly heat and am extremely fair complexion....so I wear SPF.  My arms and hands sometimes I forget and don't....can get away with that for short period of time in the sun...otherwise I will begin to burn!  

I also think this should be routine testing on yearly check ups as it is a very common thing that can be going on for so many reasons as a person gets older.  

Respected Contributor

What level of B-12 should I take ? I never took B-12.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

What level of B-12 should I take ? I never took B-12.

@Reever 

Have your doctor check your blood for B12 deficiency. From there you may or may not need to take it.