Respected Contributor

Friend just emailed me - in hospital with appendectomy

She said she got up this morning feeling like she was going to die - abdominal pain under belly button, not on right side where appendix is and was vomiting.  She said night before she felt nothing, just a little gas pains in middle of night.  Dr. said he hasn't removed an appendix that large in a long time.  I remember years ago Merv Griffin was off his show for a week and when he came back he said he almost died - his appendix burst and he had no signs or symptoms anything was wrong.  It's kinda scary appendicitis can mask itself that well.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Friend just emailed me - in hospital with appendectomy

My son had a burst appendix at 14.  .It was pretty scary.  People die from this.  

Honored Contributor

My husband had a burst appendix nearly 60 years ago....you should see the scar, pretty nasty!

Esteemed Contributor

I was very sick and in pain just a few years ago, and had an emergency appy.

Then the incision through the belly button ruptured and I had to be quickly driven to the surgeon's office, where he raced in and stitched me up before the shot could numb the area.

Good times!

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

Back in 1993, over Memorial Day Weekend, I began to not feel quite right.  By mid-Tuesday morning, I felt horrible and then something painful happened in my abdomen.  My instinct knew it wasn't right.  I had to crawl to the phone and I called my husband to come get me to go to the ER.  It's fine, he worked down the hill from our house!!  My surgeon told me that I had been quite lucky - I could have died!  That what I had felt earlier was "likely the moment my appendix ruptured"!!  After my emergency surgery, I spent 7 nights in the hospital while receiving heavy duty IV antibiotics. I was then sent home with even more oral antibiotics. It was very scary experience!! 

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry, but how sick can someone be that still manages to email someone from their hospital bed. Really?
Respected Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
I'm sorry, but how sick can someone be that still manages to email someone from their hospital bed. Really?

Oh, there's one in every crowd and it seems you're it!

Honored Contributor

I had cousin who almost died from a perforated appendix.  She'd had vague crampy abdominal pains and a low grade fever for weeks but they couldn't figure out why.  She was a young wife and mom; she just carried on.  When the vomiting began, they had to admit her and it took several days to put it all together......she had appendicitis but her appendix didn't rupture, instead there was a slow seapage of toxins into her blood stream.  Basically, her appendix had been poisoning her for weeks.  She was in the hospital for weeks and almost died from bacteremia  several times.  That was when I was 12 or 13, before the CT scans and Mri's and medical advances were have now.  

Trusted Contributor

• What big sister? Smart! No I'm not gullible like the rest of you, did you read what she said? Come on!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's weird how something that is somewhat minor, for children, can be more serious for adults.  I had mine removed as a child and it was kind of bad.

Same goes for tonsils.   I still have tonsils, as does my husband, but so many people had them removed as children and it was little more than a good amount of discomfort, they got to eat some ice cream, Smiley Happy and it was over.   

But for adults to have tonsils removed is so much more from what I have heard over the decades.