Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee---you should explain the difference between--sanitizing and disinfecting things----read a very good article about the differences but have no idea where I read it, monkey brain from being cooped up for a week , I guessWoman Frustrated---never knew that difference myself---

Valued Contributor

I read on WEB MD website to NEVER us bleach on produce.   They also discouraged use of  a produce "wash" or soap because of the residue they leave behind.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@SilleeMee---you should explain the difference between--sanitizing and disinfecting things----read a very good article about the differences but have no idea where I read it, monkey brain from being cooped up for a week , I guessWoman Frustrated---never knew that difference myself---

Disinfecting means killing nearly 99% of the germs.

Sanitizing only reduces the numbers of germs by killing some but not all of them.

Most healthy people would not need to disinfect food. Sanitizing or simply rinsing and drying it off is effective. However, some people who are severely immunosuppressed need to have their food disinfected for obvious reasons. I have done that for my friend in the past. 

Bleach is commercially used to sanitize produce before it is put on the store shelves. If you've ever opened a sealed bag of carrots or other bagged veg, you might get a whiff of bleach.

@wagirl 

Trusted Contributor

To remove bacteria and pesticide residue, vinegar and/or salt water solution works well and is safe to consume.  Or you can rub baking soda on the fruit or vegetable and rinse that off. 

https://www.goodnet.org/articles/5-super-simple-ways-to-get-pesticides-off-your-produce

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-remove-pesticides-from-produce-organic-2017-11

Honored Contributor

produc hopefully you rinse it etc..... clean it. 

Unless someone sneezes or coughs or spits all over your lettuce,  which hopefully is NOT the case... produce is no more unsafe than it was prior to this pandemic.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

produc hopefully you rinse it etc..... clean it. 

Unless someone sneezes or coughs or spits all over your lettuce,  which hopefully is NOT the case... produce is no more unsafe than it was prior to this pandemic.

I caught my son eating an apple that had not been rinsed.  I told him that I had not rinsed those apples and he should at least rinse it off.  He said "Coronavirus!", trying to be funny.  I said "it could be a lot of other stuff, too!"

Valued Contributor

Personally, I would only buy fresh produce if I was going to cook it--that will kill the virus if it's there---but eating fresh produce raw right now (like in a salad)--no thanks. People have their hands all over the fruits & veggies picking the ones they want. I will buy tomatoes (when the prices come down) because I make sauce out of them--I will buy produce that is wrapped--like the whole lettuce in the store I shop at--but otherwise, nope. I will not clean anything I eat with bleach. I did hear that using baking soda and water does the trick (and is safe), but it's only heresay to me.

I only buy frozen veggies for now--but that's me.

Valued Contributor

We have been buying fresh produce and veggies.  I rinse everything well, as I always have.  I really don't think the virus is attached to any of it by the time it gets to us, if it ever even was.  I understand those with compromised immunity might think differently and take addional precautions.