Respected Contributor

Freestyle Libre Blood Glucose System

Does anyone use this to keep track of their blood sugar? I am new to using it and would appreciate any tips, especially keeping the sensor dry in shower. Thank you!
Respected Contributor

Re: Freestyle Libre Blood Glucose System

Honored Contributor

@MOMMAVik wrote:
Does anyone use this to keep track of their blood sugar? I am new to using it and would appreciate any tips, especially keeping the sensor dry in shower. Thank you!

I know someone who has it,

once it's on it's on, until you peel off to apply the new one

Frequent Contributor

@MOMMAVik 

Yes, I use it.  You don't have to keep it dry in the shower at all.  Just shower like you normally do.  I shower with it every day. But of course I soap around it not directly on it.  You really don't have to baby it too much.  I've knocked it walking through a door frame and it stayed in place.  My doctors office did give me some additional adhesive type stuff to use if for some reason it didn't stay on my arm.  But I haven't had that happen.  Just make sure you clean the area on your arm with the alcohol pads and that it is completely dry before you install it.  I do switch from one arm to the other each time, but its not necessary to do that.  But do try to not use the same injection site so it has time to heal since it does leave a tiny mark for a couple of days.  Once you do it for the first time it's a no biggie after that.  I was a little scared to plung it into my arm the very first time but it doesn't hurt.  Pricking your finger hurts way worst.

Feel free to ask me any other questions, happy to help!

Honored Contributor

@Pancho wrote:

@MOMMAVik 

Yes, I use it.  You don't have to keep it dry in the shower at all.  Just shower like you normally do.  I shower with it every day. But of course I soap around it not directly on it.  You really don't have to baby it too much.  I've knocked it walking through a door frame and it stayed in place.  My doctors office did give me some additional adhesive type stuff to use if for some reason it didn't stay on my arm.  But I haven't had that happen.  Just make sure you clean the area on your arm with the alcohol pads and that it is completely dry before you install it.  I do switch from one arm to the other each time, but its not necessary to do that.  But do try to not use the same injection site so it has time to heal since it does leave a tiny mark for a couple of days.  Once you do it for the first time it's a no biggie after that.  I was a little scared to plung it into my arm the very first time but it doesn't hurt.  Pricking your finger hurts way worst.

Feel free to ask me any other questions, happy to help!

it's a great device 

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much! I have it for one week now. Covered it with a heavy plastic bag at first but not anymore. So far so good! Hate those fingersticks after 20+ years.
Honored Contributor

I put a clear window bandage over mine as I have had a sensor come loose before and it can’t be reinserted.

Respected Contributor

My daughter is a type 1 diabetic and recently got this meter as an addition to her regular finger stick meter.  Her endocrinologist recommended 'Fixic Freestyle Libre Adhesive patches.  There are 25 waterproof patches for $16.91 on Amazon which will last for 1 year (2 patches per month for 12 months).   They are tan skin colored and go right over the sensor securing it so it doesn't get knocked off before you're ready to take it off.  She uses the ones that do NOT have the hole it them.  It's one solid patch, reminds me of the fabric type of bandaids because it does stretch to make a tight, comfortable fit over the sensor.  

She likes it very much and it does stay put are the arm.  The edges may get a little frayed after the first week, but it's easily trimmed with a small scissors to keep it neat looking.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

I am going to look into the patches and clear bandages to help keep the sensor more secure. Thank you everyone for your help. I am glad I signed up to be able to post on these forums. So many kind people here!
Respected Contributor

@MOMMAVik   I forgot to add that the Fixic patch stays on for the full 14 days of the sensor life.   It adheres so well, I'm sure it could easily last longer.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!