Honored Contributor

@Pasta Lover-----OMG---you and I must be distantly related !!! Well--except for the squirrels and the bleeding part------but it has been a rocky 6 months for me too. Tree fell on my house --I was in the room and was inches away from  being squished under it---total destruction of my roof. My husband totalled his truck and was injured, then smashed up a rental car--my son totalled his new car then wrecked his replacement car--no injuries. We have been fighting with the insurance company about getting our house repaired for almost 6 months---AND in 2017, I slipped on ice and broke my left wrist. Was a bad break that needed surgery--I have a plate and 6 screws in it now. Was so very painful for a good solid month so I know what you are going thru. I am sorry you are feeling so down--my hubs was kind of a jerk too, until  I unleashed the wrath of G*od upon him. You don't say if you have family or friends around---if you do--girl---CALL them for help!!!!  As for the pain from your wrist---call your dr about that. Being in pain only adds to your mental state. I'll say for me, after surgery, it took about a month to 6 weeks for it to finally feel decent. I didn;t have a cast just a splint and I am right handed so was able to get things done. It was pretty brutal. So sorry for all your troubles !!!

Contributor

So sorry for your accident!  I fell and broke three bones in my wrist the last of March.  I had surgery and a plate and pins put in.  I use the plastic bag the Sunday newspaper comes in when I shower or a trash can liner and tape it.  Three weeks after my fall I suffer a stroke.  Back to the hospital with my arm in a cast and a stroke.  I am doing really well from both.  The neurologist released me yesterday,  one more PT on my arm and I will be

released!  I went to my usual activities!  I still went to church and lunch with my friends.  I paced myself so I didn’t get too tired.  Life is good and I am so lucky I am fine.  I wish you the best.  I never had depression!  Good luck!!🍀 

Honored Contributor

Re: Fractured Wrist

[ Edited ]

@Pasta Lover 

Had several sprained wrists. Were I given a choice, my choice would be a fracture. Why? Because they heal, usually stronger at the point of the break, excluding those with osteoporosis. Sprains become chronic, especially for those that have jobs that require heavy lifting.

I have had a cast running from almost my elbow including all but the tips of my fingers, and my thumb was completely immobilized. I tore the ligament that connects you thumb to your first finger. Had it on for 6 weeks. and it took months of therapy to regain the gripping strength I lost.

Your husband? Community Standards won't allow me to say what I think of him, and yes, I am a man. However, I happen to be one that was raised by a mother that taught me to be independent, and through my life, now 80. Nobody, especially my wife, needs to do anything for me when it comes to every day living. Your husband?

As one that has spent 7+ days in a Mental Ward for Clinical Depression and Diagnosed Anxiety/Panic Attacks. My suggestion to you is to see a Professional.  

I have been through many medical issues, combined with bad things happening in other aspects of my life, and all at the same time. One lives long enough they more than likely live through the "when it rains it pours" aspects of their lives. It isn't "why me", it's how a person chooses to deal with each situation.

I can empathize with you, but husbands become, and or stay dependent, because they are allowed to do so.

Seek Professional help!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Pasta Lover 

I'm so sorry you fractured you wrist, especially under such circumstances.

You asked about healing time.  Generally speaking, it has to do with the severity of the fracture(s), your general health and your age.  The older one is the longer fractures take to heal.  I well recall my grandmother's fall and wrist fracture at the age of 75.  Her GP told her she would have the cast on for 6 weeks, which I knew to be incredibly wrong, due not only to her age, but osteoporosis.  Turned out she had to wear the cast for 3 months and simply dod not understand why she couldn't have it removed at 6 weeks like her doctor said.  I explained over and over to her, but it never sank it.  And, of course it's based on x-rays taken at week 6 and forward (is the bone knitting?).

Your situation at home:  Please speak with your Primary Care Provider.  The practice will have resources to help you.  First, above all else, they will provide you with your local Crisis Center telephhone number.  Then, I'd highly recommend that you ask for counseling help.  You'll not believe how much this can help.  For your depression, numerous medications exist which can help you.  Speak to yout PCP about these as well.

At home, do only what you can.  Try not to over-work your injured arm.  If your husband gripes about this, get assertive and tell him you can only do so much with a broken wrist and that you're not going to risk further injury.

Will be thinking of you.  Let us know how things are going.

Respected Contributor

It will get better. Try to do a few things you love every day. When you see your doctor, tell him or her you are depressed!