Respected Contributor

We ran into a couple we know from a community project we were all involved with.  We have not seen them in 3-4 years and ran into them the other evening.

We were shocked and pleased as they both look at least 10 yrs YOUNGER!

They both lost weight.  She no longer uses a cane or walker (she had terrible arthritis that was exasperated by Lymes disease)

They are off all their medications, including his diabetes medication.  

It was literally like they turned back time, I am still in shock.  They could be in a documentary.

They apparently both took early retirement and since then have been to several functional medicine doctors and went to several functional medicine resorts for education and treatment.  They travel all over the country to do this.  It is VERY expensive but they said their savings on medications, tests, labs and so on almost pay for it.

Although they say waking up every day pain-free and full of life and energy is worth any amount of money.  She says she has not felt this good in at least 30 yrs and had she forgot how it felt to live without pain.

It brought tears to my eyes!  I am so happy for them, they were always the nicest people.   It really shows how if you take your health into your own hands and make the effort you can turn your life around!  It is never too late.  What a feel-good story Smiley Happy

Funny note- their combined wt loss is more than I weigh.  They literally lost the weight of an adult female!  LOL  

Honored Contributor

sounds fabulous

but I would say that the weight loss is probably most of it,

Honored Contributor

Yeah, yrs, ago I took off 50 and kept it off still not skinny minny, but, look decent for a 'oldie' LOL My knees don't blow out any more. I didn't want to be one of those young fat people in walmart electric chairs. Tore myself a new one and knees are fine, pedal 25 miles a week on recumbent bike too.

Now, it's my freakin' hip bothering me. Old age I guess you can't escape it.

Honored Contributor

It's always good to lose the extra weight. But you really don't need any special type of program to do that. You just need determination and self-control.

Honored Contributor

I eat light thru the week, then, the weekend I turn it loose ! Back to starvation on MOn. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl Functional medicine, energy, diet....will be the medicine of the future.  The doctor I use is fully onboard and I am so grateful. I am not surprised by your comments.  Thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's always good to lose the extra weight. But you really don't need any special type of program to do that. You just need determination and self-control.

but if you do and it's successful that is good too

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

sounds fabulous

but I would say that the weight loss is probably most of it,

YES weight loss helps so much!  He said he lost almost 1/2 of his weight just from them taking him OFF a lot of his meds.  

Then when he transitioned diet and such then he was able to stop all meds.

A lot of people look older when they lose weight but when you gain muscle I think it makes all the difference in the world.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fountain of Youth?

[ Edited ]

I really congratulate people who have lost large amounts of weight in their elder years.  Most of us have a harder time losing as we age.  These people are truly remarkable.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fountain of Youth?

[ Edited ]

You can lose weight but you might still look old. The key to staying young looking is to keep your cellular mitochondria from dying off which is really what causes aging to start with. Mitochondrial death is aging. The 'fountain of youth' is found in our mitochondria and most of it is found in our muscles, including the heart.

Mitochondrial death is the natural process of aging. Mitochondria is where energy is burned. As we age the mitochondria disappear and so the energy is not burned and is turned into fat. That's why it's harder to lose weight as we get older. 

Disease and stress are two major causes of premature mitochondrial death. Others include oxidative stress from the environment, drugs and other chemicals.