Respected Contributor

Re: Found Out Today I have 8 Cavities

@BunSnoop - Please do make the time to get a 2nd opinion.  At worst, you will receive confirmation that you have 8 cavities, but at best, you will learn that you do not have that many of them.

I don't know where on your teeth your cavities are, but if they are on the chewing surfaces, perhaps you suffer from bruxism aka tooth grinding when you sleep?  If so, there is a plastic device that can be made to fit your mouth, once all cavities are addressed that can prevent your teeth from being smashed together when you sleep.  I think it is fair to say that people who have not felt stress in their lives previously have experienced way more than their share of stress during this pandemic.

Wishing you the best.  If your dentist is not telling you the truth about how many cavities you actually have, it is time for a new dentist!  Do not despair.  Ask your friends and family members who live in the area who they use as a dentist, and if they like their dentist. 

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop 

Years ago, a dentist told me I had quite a few cavities.  I always went to a good denist.  I went to another really good dentist (he WAS supposed to be a good one too), and had one!!!  

Turns out I have "shadows" and not totally smooth walls on the back side of my teeth! 

What an idiot!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With age comes thinning enamel. Thin enamel makes teeth vulnerable to cavities. I have used fluoride products on my teeth since I was very young.  Fluoride builds enamel by depositing on holes in the enamel so bacteria have a difficult time getting into those holes.  I never had a cavity until I was in my 50's. I use fluoride toothpaste and also fluoride rinse.  Stannous fluoride is the best kind to use, not sodium fluoride.

Honored Contributor

I have had trouble finding what I consider a good dentist. Seems you see dental offices everywhere, but some are not people I would ever want poking around in my mouth. I even have a cousin who is a dentist and she would be the last person I would visit.
Honored Contributor

OP---no I haven't had that many at once--but after going thru 6 months of chemo for breast cancer in 2012--seems like with every 6 month routine appt --I end up having a couple tiny cavities that need fixing---and I take much better care now than I did before cancer----seems chemo give-ith and taketh away. Guess in the big picture the take-ith away part is way better , but still annoying!! Hopefully those cavities are just small and quick to fix---Woman Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

The only problem I have with getting a 2nd opinion is that I'll have to request a copy of my x-rays from my dentist and she'll know I'm up to something.   If I get a 2nd opinion and they confirm I do have eight cavities, I think I'll feel uncomfortable when I see her as she'll know I was not trusting her.

The hygienist in the office took the xrays and when she was looking at them before the dentist came in, she said she can not make a diagnosis, but she's going to give me the "heads up" that there appears to be some cavities.  So, I'm thinking if they are not being truthful  both the hygienist and the dentist would have to be in on it together.  I don't think that is the case, so I'm thinking it's just another change my body is experiencing as I age.   As my mom use to say "it's ruff as you keep get older".

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Have you been going to this dentist regularly??  In the past I had gone to a new dentist because we had moved and he said I had 3 cavities.  Went back to my former dentist and he found no cavities.  It is hard to know if the dentist is being truthful.  I would be suspicious.

I had the same thing happen to me.  A new dentist told me I had 5 cavities, and I decided to get a second opinion.  Turns out I didn't have any.  That was almost 7 years ago.  I have not had any dental problems in all that time.

Honored Contributor

If a few cavities you cry, what would something serious do to you. LOL

I'd gladly swap my spinal stenosis and the arthritis in my right knee for 8 cavities.

Trusted Contributor

Has this been your dentist for a long time?  With a pristine history like you have, it would seem unlikely to get 8 cavities at once.  And if you have been seeing your dentist for a long time -- and regularly -- how did your dentist miss all these cavities?  They don't usually crop up so quickly all at once, usually taking months to years to form.

I had that many in one visit as a young child because brushing my teeth used to make me gag because of all the bubbles in my mouth, so I didn't brush thoroughly.  I also ate too much sugar.  Now that's a reason to get so many cavities.

I have since learned quite a bit about the teeth and can pretty much know what I'm looking at on dental x-rays.  One tactic you might use is to ask your dentist to show you where the cavities are on your x-rays.  It's sort of a way to keep the dentist honest.  Cavities will usually appear as dark spots on x-ray.  Google "dental cavities on xray images" and you will see what I mean.  Then ask your dentist to show you.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.