Honored Contributor

Re: Found Out Today I have 8 Cavities

@BunSnoop 

WOW!  I'm 79 and never in my life have I had that many fillings at one time. 

Are they 8 individual teeth, or some teeth with multiple cavities?

Occasionally some of my old fillngs were worn and had to be redone ... and eventually after several "re fillings" - teeth had to be capped.

At this point in my life, I think every tooth in my mouth is either bonded or capped!  Rarely need more than a cleaning at my six-month checkups.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop    I use prescription fluoride toothpaste and have found it makes a huge difference in reducing cavities. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 , they did prescribe to me during this visit prescription fluoride toothpaste so I'll be starting with that today.  Good to hear you had good results.

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA , they're all separate teeth.  Some of them are next to each other.  The dentist said it's common for it to spread from one tooth to the tooth right next to it.

Esteemed Contributor

Please go for a  second opinion. Some years back DH was told he had several cavities & also needed root canal on 2 teeth. I persuaded him to go for a second opinion. It turns out he had 1 small cavity & didn't need any root canal done.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

you might see what might be making your teeth soft that would be easier for cavities to enter the tooth.  Are you on medications....  or doing any kind of therapy like chemo or such...?

hopefully you are using a good prescription floride tooth paste  daily...

I see you are  getting floride treatments twice a year from your dentist.  that is good.  

I have to say that sometimes no matter WHAT we do.... things just start happening after age 65, I am so careful with my diet and lifestyle... yet found out I have borderline high cholestrol and borderline high blood pressure.... it is depressing... 

As to that last paragraph - ITA.   I'm 66 and have been noticing that many of my teeth actually have cracks that run vertically through them.   I think I asked my dentist about that but I'll be darned if I remember what he said.  I just think it's an old person thing that some of us get.  It's not like I abuse my teeth, so it just seemed weird when I started noticing that more and more.  Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I would ask to see the x-rays.

Honored Contributor

It would be worth being seen by another dentist to reaffirm what they found.  I say this because as a kid my dentist said I was getting more and more cavaties, then having them filled and then seeing the dentist again, sometimes the time between the fills and a new exam was as little as 1-2 months!  My Dad took me to another dentist.... who said I didn't have any cavaties and that the dentist was likely filling "striations" (discolorations and not cavaties).  He said chances are I didn't have even half the "cavaties" my original dentist said I did.  

I had the new dentist from that day forward.  BTW, the original dentist did so much damage to my back teeth, I've had to have caps on all my back teeth because they were beginning to split!! 

Good luck..... trust but verify Woman Happy .  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

When I was a teen, my mother's dentist had his newly graduated from dental school son join him in the office.

He found I had a mouth full of cavities and set up a couple of appointments to fix them.  I was supposed to visit the dentist on my way home from High School, but never went

When I got married, I went to my DH's dentist and was prepared for More bad news.

I was shocked that I had zero cavities.

I would get a second opinion and take your X-rays.  It seems some dentists are shady.  I, like you have always had good teeth.  It seems odd to have some mamy cavities at your age when you have always had good check ups.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@Kachina624 , they did prescribe to me during this visit prescription fluoride toothpaste so I'll be starting with that today.  Good to hear you had good results.

@BunSnoop I was given prescrption fluoride toothpaste and mouth rinse and in less than a week it had turned my tongue black.  I couldn't brush it away and when I stopped using it, it took 3 or 4 days for it to go away.