Respected Contributor

Re: For those who have received both Covid vaccines..

@gidgetgh  if you saw my post, your course sounds very similar but just started a little later than mine did. That being said I predict that you will be feeling better before long 🙂🤞.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh

I have read many medical reports saying no pain killers before the dose but fine afterwards.  I plan to take 1000mg of tylenol if I get a bad headache 2x daily if necessary, and rest.  It does pass according to the people with whom I've spoken.

Trusted Contributor

To all that have a headache, I use an ice pack and place it directly on top of my head.  I was having headaches after eating meat but didn't connect it for a long time (it was the seasonings my husband was using) and they stopped when I told him to no longer use any on my food and viola no more headaches.  But anyway, I fill up the ice pack with water and place it in the refrigerator....it's more comfortable than using ice cubes and it's plenty cold.  The  cold stops my headache and I will use it again after my 2nd shot whenever that will happen....still waiting for the 1st.   

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@gidgetgh

I have read many medical reports saying no pain killers before the dose but fine afterwards.  I plan to take 1000mg of tylenol if I get a bad headache 2x daily if necessary, and rest.  It does pass according to the people with whom I've spoken.

@Justice4all - I really don't do well with Tylenol, haven't taken it in years, but I may have to break down and try it.  I feel horrible.

I've googled till I'm blue in the face about taking aspirin afterwards.  Pharmacist reluctantly said I could take one baby aspirin.  Most of the google searches said tough it out if you can but it didn't say for how long. I'm no wimp. But there is no way I'll sleep tonight. I'm not a good sleeper on a good day, but I won't be able to sleep feeling like this.  It's been 31 hours since my shot.  I'm not so cold anymore which is good,  but the headache and fever persist.  And my throat is a little scratchy and irritated.  If I could just get the headache to go away.   I can live with most of it, but the headache.....

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

@Krimpette The bricks will fly when I post this but - I say don't go forward with the vaccination until you feel comfortable about it.

In NYS there is such an extreme shortage that groups with underlining conditions just got pushed back for people with more severe situations.

I couldn't get a shot now IF I wanted it..........and.........I don't.  Not at this time.  Need to be 100% to get taxes done and don't have time to feel lousy.

Perhaps I may never go for it - something is making me uncomfortable so I will just follow the rules - avoid groups of people - and wait till the day feels right (for me).

@fthunt  I am all about the science but I hear you. I also have a bit of an uneasy feeling about the vax. I initially felt that I would wait at least until the summer because I am generally hypersensitive and I wanted to see how others were reacting. 

That being said, I did get my first Moderna dose about 10 days ago because I became more concerned about the variant(s). I had to weigh the risks vs. benefits in my head. And yes it was a very anxiety-producing pita to finally get an appointment in nyc.

I have undiagnosed inflammation (possibly pre-clinical RA) and I was concerned about my body having a more serious reaction because of my immune system possibly being hyperactive.  Well, on Day 7, I developed sudden costochondritis, an exquisitely painful inflammation of the cartilage around the ribs sort of like having a broken rib, perhaps worse.  It was so painful that I had serious trouble breathing. I was very scared and had my hand on the phone to call an ambulance but decided not to. I just sat and relaxed as best I could.  Even had to sleep almost sitting up. Had to arrange for someone to walk my dog. Three days later now, I'm almost back to normal. This experience may be enough to scare me about getting the 2nd dose.  I also developed covid arm after one week which is not uncommon with Moderna.

I've spoken to my PCP about this but she doesn't know what to tell me, which doesn't surprise me as people with autoimmune conditions and related inflammation weren't included in the vax trials.  I also have a televisit with a rheumatologist I saw about a year ago.  I bet she won't know how to advise me either. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Justice4all wrote:

@gidgetgh

@Justice4all - I really don't do well with Tylenol, haven't taken it in years, but I may have to break down and try it.  I feel horrible.

I've googled till I'm blue in the face about taking aspirin afterwards.  Pharmacist reluctantly said I could take one baby aspirin.  Most of the google searches said tough it out if you can but it didn't say for how long. I'm no wimp. But there is no way I'll sleep tonight. I'm not a good sleeper on a good day, but I won't be able to sleep feeling like this.  It's been 31 hours since my shot.  I'm not so cold anymore which is good,  but the headache and fever persist.  And my throat is a little scratchy and irritated.  If I could just get the headache to go away.   I can live with most of it, but the headache.....

@gidgetgh 

Are you feeling better today?  This malaise has resolved after some days in the people I know -  rest,rest,rest, a warm bath, light healthy eating. AARP says it is perfectly ok to take Advil.  Dr Google doesn't take the place of a good doctor's advice.

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Justice4all wrote:

@gidgetgh

@gidgetgh 

Are you feeling better today?  This malaise has resolved after some days in the people I know -  rest,rest,rest, a warm bath, light healthy eating. AARP says it is perfectly ok to take Advil.  Dr Google doesn't take the place of a good doctor's advice.

@Justice4all - I'm feeling much better today, thanks.  I took 2 baby aspirins last night at 11:30 since I don't handle Tylenol or Advil well.  I had also called a second pharmacist and she said aspirin was fine.  Anyway, I finally got to sleep around 1:30 and when I got up this morning my temp was normal and the blasted headache is just about gone.  I am feeling pretty washed out, like I've been through a siege, LOL. So it's another day of resting in the couch, which is pretty much a typical day for me anyway.m so happy to be feeling better.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Occasional Contributor

I have had both Pfizer vaccine shots.  No reaction after the 1st shot but got the 2nd one at 1 pm so had no reaction the rest of the day.  Day 2 was a different story.  Had the chills and every joint in my body ached (have arthritis which may have  affected the reaction)  and during night of 2nd day, I ran a low grade fever.  Day 3 I had no energy. Think this will be the end of it.  None of these reactions were serious enough to consult my physician.  I am 81 just to pur my reactions in "age"  perspective.   My husband got the shot same time I did and had chills but that was all.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette ... I don't get my second dose (Moderna) until early March.  However, most of the people I know who have gotten their second dose have suffered flu like symptoms for a day or two.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have had both Moderna shots. I had a small rash with the first one but it quickly disappeared. With the second one, I developed a headache the day after and also extreme exhaustion. I rarely sleep during the day but I laid down to rest and awakened 6 hours later, this after sleeping 7 hours the night before. After that, I was fine.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.