Respected Contributor

Re: For those who have received both Covid vaccines..

@Krimpette wrote:

Did you have reactions?  What were they, and how bad were they to deal with?  I live alone, so I'm a bit concerned about possibly being sick for a few days after getting my 2nd shot.  

Me too. I live alone and my shot is one hour away from my home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

@Krimpette The bricks will fly when I post this but - I say don't go forward with the vaccination until you feel comfortable about it.

In NYS there is such an extreme shortage that groups with underlining conditions just got pushed back for people with more severe situations.

I couldn't get a shot now IF I wanted it..........and.........I don't.  Not at this time.  Need to be 100% to get taxes done and don't have time to feel lousy.

Perhaps I may never go for it - something is making me uncomfortable so I will just follow the rules - avoid groups of people - and wait till the day feels right (for me).

@fthunt  I am all about the science but I hear you. I also have a bit of an uneasy feeling about the vax. I initially felt that I would wait at least until the summer because I am generally hypersensitive and I wanted to see how others were reacting. 

That being said, I did get my first Moderna dose about 10 days ago because I became more concerned about the variant(s). I had to weigh the risks vs. benefits in my head. And yes it was a very anxiety-producing pita to finally get an appointment in nyc.

I have undiagnosed inflammation (possibly pre-clinical RA) and I was concerned about my body having a more serious reaction because of my immune system possibly being hyperactive.  Well, on Day 7, I developed sudden costochondritis, an exquisitely painful inflammation of the cartilage around the ribs sort of like having a broken rib, perhaps worse.  It was so painful that I had serious trouble breathing. I was very scared and had my hand on the phone to call an ambulance but decided not to. I just sat and relaxed as best I could.  Even had to sleep almost sitting up. Had to arrange for someone to walk my dog. Three days later now, I'm almost back to normal. This experience may be enough to scare me about getting the 2nd dose.  I also developed covid arm after one week which is not uncommon with Moderna.

I've spoken to my PCP about this but she doesn't know what to tell me, which doesn't surprise me as people with autoimmune conditions and related inflammation weren't included in the vax trials.  I also have a televisit with a rheumatologist I saw about a year ago.  I bet she won't know how to advise me either. 

@Deree 

I have had ra most of my life..I am now at what is considered the severe stage. I teke several,immunosuppressant drugs  including methotrexate and a biologic.
My rheumatologist, who I trust very much,  suggested very strongly that I get the vaccine.,I did and had no reaction to the first and a slight headache with the second

Has yiur pcp recommended that you see a rheumatologist, who could determine if you have ra and treat it.?

Best of luck.

Trusted Contributor

@sydsgma1  Thanks for letting me know that you had no reaction to the vax despite your AI issue. I realize everyone is different but that does put my mind at ease about getting my 2nd dose.  I did see two rheumies before the pandemic and i have no confirmed diagnosis which is why one said I may be pre-clinical -- that it may not become apparent for years or not at all.  I'm looking into LDN. If you haven't heard of it please join an LDN forum. Many who have AI conditions and are on biologics have been able to either reduce or eliminate their drugs. Best wishes.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Three friends had aches, extreme headache chills, fever .lasted almost 24hours. 

Honored Contributor

Ok, I'm reporting in again.  I got my second Moderna shot last Friday morning.  I felt horrible on Saturday and was some better yesterday.  So this morning, I went walking at the senior center, lasted exactly 10 minutes, and had to come home and was thankful that I was able to get to my car by myself.  Absolutely zero stamina. None.  Just not there.   I came straight home and I've rested all day.  I got a slight headache this afternoon and took something for it an hour ago.   No fever, no chills today and my arm soreness is barely there.  For me today, it's the fatigue and the headache, but the headache is gone now.  Gone for the 2nd time.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Hope you feel much better tomorrow @gidgetgh, with a lot more energy and stamina, and no headache at all.