Frequent Contributor

Re: For those who have received both Covid vaccines..

@Krimpette  I had both shots, the Mederna.  I had a sore arm, more so for the second and I had a few aches and was tired.  I feel I was very lucky.  I work with some people who go so sick, they said they would never get it again if it is something we may have to do yearly.  Everyone is different. My mom got the Pfizer and she had no side effects but one of her friends did get sick

I live alone also but do have people who could check up on me.  I say get it, the side effects last 24-36 hours and then it is like nothing ever happened.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My mother is 89 and in a nursing home with vascular dementia and multiple underlying medical conditions. I'm not sure which vaccine she received, but she was given both shots. She's unable to express anything in words. If she's in pain or other distress she does cry or yell. Neither happened, and she didn't have any side effects. She doesn't move much, so if her arm was sore she might not have noticed it or it wasn't that bad.

Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

A friend of ours had bad fatigue after the second shot. I still have an itchy rash all over the backs of my shoulders, which may or may not be related to my first shot. It appeared one week after the first shot, been there for two weeks now.

@morganjen @This is a condition that's reportable. Please let your primary care doctor know about this. You might take some photos. The vaccines are still under study and the makers are keeping track of this type of reaction.

Respected Contributor

I received my 2nd Pfizer vaccine yesterday. The first, I had no side effects. Tonight my arm aches just a little bit. Certainly the Shingles Vaccine was much more painful, sore arm for a few days, low grade temp and headache. Not with this vaccine. 

I agree with the person who said she/he was much more afraid of  the Corona Virus than the vaccine. I agree with her. Most likely, you are going to be fine with the vaccine. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

@Krimpette The bricks will fly when I post this but - I say don't go forward with the vaccination until you feel comfortable about it.

In NYS there is such an extreme shortage that groups with underlining conditions just got pushed back for people with more severe situations.

I couldn't get a shot now IF I wanted it..........and.........I don't.  Not at this time.  Need to be 100% to get taxes done and don't have time to feel lousy.

Perhaps I may never go for it - something is making me uncomfortable so I will just follow the rules - avoid groups of people - and wait till the day feels right (for me).

Sorry to hear that NYS has extreme shortage right now; where I live too.  But then I read just earlier today that MA is giving any person a shot who brings in a senior over 75. Hmmmm.  What about their 2nd shot?  It would seem that now they would have to order more due to giving them out to people not ready per the approved list.  

I know, I know.  Better to just have shots in arms....I get it.  But, with shortages in so many States right now and many who have never gotten their first shot, it is a little perplexing.  What one State does can affect another.  

My husband 67 with comorbities but nope our State is still doing the over 70s because of an extreme shortage.  

And @fthunt we're not necessarily mentally ready either but more afraid of getting covid....so, it's a constant inner dialogue.  

Honored Contributor

We have only had one shot.Moderna and no trouble.Oir DIL. had both and was just tired after the secon one.

Honored Contributor

1. @agb80 I would ask your doctor to help your dh get his vaccine.We have friends who went that route for comorbidities.One person is on a waiting list for a lung transplant but was too young to qualify in his state.I think in his condition that he should have been one of the first.
Honored Contributor

I have had the first shot....NO reaction at all

second shot on March 7....will report back then for how I feel

Honored Contributor

Ok, I had my second Moderna shot yesterday morning.  To be honest, I'm feeling rough today.

I woke up at 2:30 with a slight headache and an ache in a muscle in the back of my neck. Not horrible, but there.  And I was cold.  No chills, just cold.  So I turned the heat up and drank a Coke, which sometimes helps me with headaches.  I'm trying to stay away from pain relievers so my immune system can do its thing.

I never really went totally back to sleep. I absolutely forced myself to take a shower at 8. I was cold but I knew I'd felt better with my hair washed and not looking like Lyle Lovett hair.  But I really debated.

I'm downstairs now, on the couch, under 2 blankets.  My temp was 99.8 at 8:00.  

My arm is sore, but lots less sore than with the shingles vaccine. No complaints there.  

I am trying to stay away from Tylenol, haven't taken it in years, because the last time I took it, years and years ago, it made me a little dizzy.  And Tylenol never seemed to do anything for headaches for me, but I know it would help with the fever.  I also don't do well with Motrin.

I had called the pharmacy yesterday, in anticipation, and they said I could take a baby aspirin, but they didn't seem thrilled with that.  So I, just going to see how the day goes.  If my fever goes higher, I'll try one Tylenol. 

I always gauge illness by asking myself if I still worked, would I be able to go to work.  The answer today is no. 

No complaints though.  This will pass.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I've received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. Had no side effects after the first dose but after the second, for three days, I was tired and had some nausea and a headache.   Those symptoms have gone now.