Respected Contributor

For those who have purchased a Pilates reformer from QVC

Which one (item #?) What do you like and dislike about it?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those who have purchased a Pilates reformer from QVC

Mine is the 5 cord.  It is very heavy and very large.  I wasn't really expecting it to take up as much room as it does.  I wish they had more cds with exercises on them.  The cd you get goes through the exercises fast if I remember correctly and doesn't give enough time to change out the cords before moving on to the next exercise.  Frankly, I thought I would use this machine more than I do but that's on me.  Maybe some of the others who use their machines on a regular basis can chime in and offer some insight.

Respected Contributor

I bought a Pilates maybe 10 years ago.  I could never get used to it, as it was so slow and yoga-like.  If you like yoga, you'll like Pilates.  I ended up giving it away after hardly ever using it.  It was an old model, but the business about being able to fold it up and put it away didn't work out for me.  It wasn't as easy as they showed on QVC.

Trusted Contributor

I have the older model, it was my first q purchase.  I've  replaced the cords and purchased new dvd's from Marjolien.  I like my machine, the downfall is that it is very heavy.  It does not fold up quickly and its bulky.  Please bear in mind, its older and the new machines may be lighter, I personally can't speak to that.  

I'm not sure if you would want the machine to be light for durability purposes.  I also have a chair, again heavy, purchased on the other channel, very durable but seemingly more bulky.  

What I dont like is my inabiliity to reach somebody about purchasing additional pieces, I'd like the trampoline attachment and don't see it as an additional purchase anywhere. The email marjolien has stated comes back to me undeliverable. 

If you are considering purchasing it may be worth your while to go to a local class first to see if you enjoy the workouts (if thats possible where you are.)

Its expensive but for me, worth it. 

Frequent Contributor

I have the 5 cord, and as someone else commented, it does take up a lot of room.  I recently emailed Marjalein and ask they had any plans for a smaller, more compact machine but that is not in the works.  That being said, I love pilates , yoga and callenetics .  Will keep my eye out for something more compact - may "downgrade" to a 3 cord.  Evaluating the options...

Valued Contributor

I got one from QVC about 9 years ago.  It has 3 cords (but one is a red "power" cord).  It came with a rebounder and another bar for the end.  It sat open on the living room floor (a room we do not use much) for about a year mostly unused and then folded up and put in a corner for about 3 years until I moved it up to a bedroom.  It sat open on the bedroom floor for about 6 months (my thought being if I had to keep moving around it, surely I would use it).  Then it got folded up and put in a corner in the bedroom where it has been ever since.  My suggestion would be to make sure you have tried one out or are familiar with what it does.  As others have said it is heavy and kind of a pain to fold up and move out of the way.  I still keep thinking I might use it but after all this time, probably not.  Right now it is an expensive corner decoration.

Honored Contributor

I have one I bought from QVC some 20 years ago at age 40ish.. I used it  a lot  until I started to get arthritis in my joints. The downside to it is it is heavy to set up and it takes up a lot of space... so unless you can just leave it out.. it is a hassle.... also  I have a hard time getting up from off the floor now at 60 because of my joint issues. It is too low for me to comfortably get up and off of it.   I am donating mine to good will as soon as I can load it into the car. 

Same goes for my Total gym I bought about the same time.  It is heavy and cumbersome to me now. I need to donate or give that away as well. I did use it when I was younger and more flexible. With four joint replacements I can not do a lot of the workouts I use to.

Frequent Contributor

I,too, have a Total Gym that I need to dispose of!  Way too heavy for me now.  Reference my earlier post, I just found a Pilates 286 on ebay for 147.00 including shipping. Its a 3 cord and smaller than my current 5 cord.  Assuming I like it I will consider the stand to fit and maybe sell my 5 cord and stand.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchased my 5 cord about a year ago and it is heavy.  So heavy I can't move it myself so I'm not sure the new ones are lighter.  I don't believe it folds either.  I do like the trampoline attachment.  It is a pretty sturdy machine though, I'll give it that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I got one from QVC about 9 years ago.  It has 3 cords (but one is a red "power" cord).  It came with a rebounder and another bar for the end.  It sat open on the living room floor (a room we do not use much) for about a year mostly unused and then folded up and put in a corner for about 3 years until I moved it up to a bedroom.  It sat open on the bedroom floor for about 6 months (my thought being if I had to keep moving around it, surely I would use it).  Then it got folded up and put in a corner in the bedroom where it has been ever since.  My suggestion would be to make sure you have tried one out or are familiar with what it does.  As others have said it is heavy and kind of a pain to fold up and move out of the way.  I still keep thinking I might use it but after all this time, probably not.  Right now it is an expensive corner decoration.

Ceekay - sounds like me. Except I have it in the corner of my family room. It is now a storage shelf for the dog's treats and food. I keep thinking that I should shart using it again.