Honored Contributor

Re: For those that take cholesterol meds...

@Judaline wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I stopped taking statins as soon as I found out it made my A1C go up to pre-diabetic level. I quit taking statins and told my doc that I could find a better way and I did.

What is it???? Please.

@Judaline 

I started taking berberine. That supp brought both my LDL (bad cholesterol) and my A1C numbers back to normal. Best thing ever!

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee  May I ask which berberine you use? Istarted using it 1.5 years ago when my A1C and glucose started climbing. I got good numbers on my test results. I then switched insurance so I had to start over with a new doctor.I did my blood work and my numbers were higher than the first time.So I assume it was a bad brand I used. I was buying what was on sale at Amazon.

I increased my exercise and watch my diet more closely but still need help.

Your feedback would be appreciated.TIA

Honored Contributor

@Estates wrote:

@SilleeMee  May I ask which berberine you use? Istarted using it 1.5 years ago when my A1C and glucose started climbing. I got good numbers on my test results. I then switched insurance so I had to start over with a new doctor.I did my blood work and my numbers were higher than the first time.So I assume it was a bad brand I used. I was buying what was on sale at Amazon.

I increased my exercise and watch my diet more closely but still need help.

Your feedback would be appreciated.TIA

@Estates 

I'm taking berberine from PipingRock dot com.  It comes in 500mg caps which I take one with a meal, usually twice daily, and sometimes three daily depending on what I've eaten.  The dose is important. It's similar to metformin in the way it works on sugar so you have to guage it with what you eat. 

Maybe it wasn't the brand which might have been the problem but it could be that you weren't taking enough of it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee

I know this is an old thread, but I was curious if you are still taking the berberine 500 mg. I was at doctor today and my cholesterol level came back high for 3rd visiting a row. I eat healthy, don't drink alcohol and run 2-3 hours a day. I really expected my numbers to go down, not up. Without even discussing she sent a prescription for a statin to pharmacy. I'm annoyed with that happening and have been researching alternatives.

I know you are not a doc...just curious on your results. Lots of data supports giving this a try. My one and only concern is that since my gallbladder removal I can have digestive issues & that is a side effect to the berberine. Sigh. Thank you for sharing any info
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 

I realize this is a very old thread. What caught my eye was this statement you made. "run 2-3 hours a day".

As a long time middle and long distance runner, who has ran hundreds of races, over decades! I did not, nor have I ever met any runner(even Olympic Marathon Runner), that ran 2-3 hours a day.

Maybe you want to clarify for me your definition of the word "running". I have heard some people say "I have been on the run for days". But it had nothing to do with actually "running", it was a figure if speech.

I won't go into Statins with you because you can go back and read my several other posts in this thread, where I stated exactly how I feel when it comes to Statins.  Not for you or for anyone else on this forum, but for me personally. And yes, I am still taking 20mg per day of Lipitor/Atorvastatin, and my cognitive state has not deteriorated.

Whatever you decide about Statins is up to you and your doctor(s). And if you are truly  "running" 2-3 hours a day. Have you kept a record of miles ran in those hours of running? I would like to see what you mpm is over that period of time.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Cholesterol meds also make your A1C levels go up...and can make you diabetic.....so many reasons to really work on lifestyle changes and natural supplements to lower cholesterol rather than taking pharmaceuticals.  

My husband is one of THOSE people who does  nothing to better his health...has high cholesterol and high blood pressure...takes meds rather than trying to correct the issues himself....he is totally a couch potato and eats what he wants.  His A1C levels are also bordering on diabetes...probably from the cholesterol meds.

Makes me sad....but it is his life and his choice......

@SeaMaidenCholesterol meds absolutely do not make your A1C levels go up. I'm a type 1 diabetic and my doctor put me on a statin a few years ago. My current A1C was 5.0... the lowest its ever been.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I am dealing with some cholesterol issues myself.  And a STRONG family history of heart issues.  😩😩

I have decided to try Nature Made Cholestoff Complete. 🤞🤞🤞

I wanted to try the berberine, but do not know how it would work on me as my fasting blood sugar is always in the low 80's.  I have not mentioned this option to my PCP either, which I would before trying.  

I am very scared of statins due to the dementia/blood sugar side effects.  But, I know so many who take statins and then do nothing else to help lower their cholesterol.  They do not eat properly, do not exercise, etc.  I know two that have actually told me they just take their statin and eat whatever they want.  😳   For me, if I were to take a statin, I would just consider that to be another tool to help lower my numbers, and I would continue with proper eating and exercise.  

I wonder if statins get such a bad reputation because many do not do anything else to help themselves???? Maybe the bad side effects come from eating poorly and not exercising????🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:
@SilleeMee

I know this is an old thread, but I was curious if you are still taking the berberine 500 mg. I was at doctor today and my cholesterol level came back high for 3rd visiting a row. I eat healthy, don't drink alcohol and run 2-3 hours a day. I really expected my numbers to go down, not up. Without even discussing she sent a prescription for a statin to pharmacy. I'm annoyed with that happening and have been researching alternatives.

I know you are not a doc...just curious on your results. Lots of data supports giving this a try. My one and only concern is that since my gallbladder removal I can have digestive issues & that is a side effect to the berberine. Sigh. Thank you for sharing any info

@kate2357 

Yes, I am still taking berberine in the same amount. No changes to that dose or any problems with taking it. My lab test results have all been normal. Berberine works great for me. The only one-time side-effect I experienced was a bout with constipation for a few days and I believe I was taking too much berberine during that time. Berberine has a mild antibiotic effect and it might have disrupted my normal gut flora during that time but it wasn't anythng serious and it went away after a few days.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn

John, 

I've been training for a marathon and my routine is to run for about an hour in the morning and about an hour in the afternoon. My avg rate in the morning is just under 13 minutes and in the afternoon it is over 13 minutes or so. (It's about a 5 mile run.) Sometimes I do a slower pace, it all depends on how my legs are feeling in the afternoon.

I do vary it a bit, sometimes I run for 2 hours at a time in the morning. I just ran a half marathon and my time was 3 hours and 5 minutes. Maybe those times are not considered running ... but to me, it's running. Smiley Happy

Before retiring I only ran about 35 miles a week and once I've run the marathon at end of this month, I will go back to running much less. I just believe moving keeps me feeling good in body, mind and spirit.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your taking the time to give me your experience.