Honored Contributor

Re: For those that take cholesterol meds...

You're welcome Woman Happy @kate2357 

Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 

Good for you with the keeping moving. I started running in the 1960's, long before any company made much of an athletic shoe. There also was very little, to no knowledge when came to preventing injuries, nor what and how to best recover from them.

As this activity grew interests in it from Exercise Physiologists became more interested, and Sports Med Doctors started to be a Speciality Field. I went to more Clinics given my many Cardiologists/Nutritionists/Podiatrists/Orthopedists/Pulmonologists/Olympic Marathon Runners and their coaches. Bill Rodgers and Frank Shorter, along with the 1st woman, Katherine Switzer to run the Boston Marathon. Most of these were 8 hour clinics.

As I got older I trained smarter and adding miles/time was no longer my goal. I got stronger and faster. After 2 marathons I decided to run short and mid distance races. Some days at the same meet I would run the 1 mile and the 10k. At others I would run the 2 mile and the 5k. This helped lower my times in the 10k by 3 minutes over the years.

I had about every running injury that was known. Between running and playing and Reffing hockey, I always had 1 more pains somewhere. 

I never ran more than 40 miles a week or more than 5 days a week in training. But in the 50 and up age group, which was the oldest at those times, I won many 2 mile runs in that age group when I was 58-59.

Never combined distance and time when training. I either ran long, maybe 60-90 minutes, or intervals at a pace faster than my intended race speed. Speed builds more unused fast twitch muscle fibers, and time running helped increase endurance.

After my 1st battle with Pulmonary Embolism(PE) in 2002, and a 2nd bout 6 months later, I had to quit running and skating. Then with my 1st heart attack in 2003, it took me 14 years of Anemia caused by my Colon bleeding, and a 2nd heart attack and other serious health issues, to get back my fitness. By then I was 76 years old when my comeback started.

At 78 I decided to go back to ice skating again. After about 18 months of falling and breaking ribs/my nose and other types of injuries, I finally felt like an ice skater once again.

Next chapter of my bio?

hckynut  ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have relied on OTC anti choiesterol supplements for the last 18 years, so far so good. Keeps it under control enough and my good cholesterol is very good. Now I am using Lessman Cholestacare, plant sterols at lunch, and with dinner take Natures Way Cholesterol Shield.  I have avoided statins for all these years and will continue to do so. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle 

Glad to hear this is working well for you.

hckynut  ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Shelbelle 

Glad to hear this is working well for you.

hckynut  ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

Hi, John working well enough to keep me off of statins, but it could be better. My good has remained very good all these years, that is one saving grace.