Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those that take cholesterol meds...

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Cholesterol meds also make your A1C levels go up...and can make you diabetic.....so many reasons to really work on lifestyle changes and natural supplements to lower cholesterol rather than taking pharmaceuticals.  

My husband is one of THOSE people who does  nothing to better his health...has high cholesterol and high blood pressure...takes meds rather than trying to correct the issues himself....he is totally a couch potato and eats what he wants.  His A1C levels are also bordering on diabetes...probably from the cholesterol meds.

Makes me sad....but it is his life and his choice......

Absolutely right. I've seen it happen. It's sad that patients tend to believe everything doctors tell them, even if it complicates their condition. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be hesitant to trust only one study done by the Journal of Nuclear Medicine, nor would I trust this general practitioner from Tennessee.  Not only is he on probation, but he is hawking mineral/liver supplements with a discount code.  (Screen shots provided for both.)  A person has to make decisions that are right for him/her.  When my cholesterol started going up, I tried a change of diet for 6 months and took numerous natural supplements to try to lower my numbers.  I was already thin and exercised regularly.  The result?  My numbers continued to increase.  I have familial hypercholesterolemia, so statins are the only option for me.  I trust my internist who keeps abreast of valid studies.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 7.23.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-06 at 7.26.26 AM.png

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

The person speaking in these videos has just had his medical license placed on probation. His license was already on suspension prior to this latest status. If you Google Ken Berry medical license in Tennessee, you can find the information.

He's not a respected physician, I agree, @mom2four0418 and @Ainhisg.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut@Susan Louise   So well said hckynut. I am right there with you.I. like you, have dealt with cardivascular disease for many years.  I myself have been a type 1 diabetic since early childhood and have a very stron family history of heart disease . What a lot of folks fail to realize is that attacking the issue of heart disease is multifaceted., to include diet, exercise, other healthy lifestyle issues such as adequate sleep, no smoking, reduce stress, limit alcohol, and yes medication. Cholesterol lowering drugs are one piece of the arsenal in fighting heart disease. Yes it is medication. All medications are chemicals and all medications even if it is tylenol has the risk of side effects. Each person has to make the decision for themself concerning medication. People should listen to their doctors and also research the medication on their own before making a decision. In my case I felt the benefit far outways the risk .

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

The person speaking in these videos has just had his medical license placed on probation. His license was already on suspension prior to this latest status. If you Google Ken Berry medical license in Tennessee, you can find the information.

Agreed. 

This so-called "doctor" is a quack.

I'd trust him about as far as I could throw him.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@hckynut   DH & I both have had several various serious health issues. I respectfully disagree with you on the issues of statins. I am sad you won't watch the video, but that is your choice. Because of that though, you will never be able to at the very least understand why DH and I both feel strongly against statins for anyone. That 'Fat Head' video explains a lot. Additionally, saying it is eye-opening doesn't even scratch the surface...not by a long shot.

As I mentioned in my OP, my DH took Crestor he was prescribed by his Dr. Thank heavens he isn't taking it anymore.

I mentioned in a previous post in this thread about not all Drs are doing what is best for their patients. I can speak from experience. You probably wouldn't consider reading the book I recommended either - 'Lies my Dr Told Me'.

Quite honestly, only those who truly have an open mind would consider or even bother watching the video or reading the book anyway. 

We just view things as polar opposites.

My mind is open @Susan Louise and I watched the video. Most of it is just a lot of the same from Dr. Atkins and his "camp". 

I lived the keto diet for most of my life. As a Type 1 diabetic I used it to control my diabetes. I refused statins and had your mindset until in 2016 I had a major heart attack called the widow maker. In 2017 once again a part of my left descending artery blocked again. 5 stents later and a balloon, I finally agreed to statins in 2017. I no longer follow the diet you are following and even managed to get out of heart failure with a near normal ejection fraction.

The diet Berry is promoting is a recipe for disaster. Telling patients that statins cause dementia with no real data to support it? No wonder this doctor may lose his license...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11   The Keto diet is high in fat including saturated fat. Do you think that contributed to your heart attacks?  It is why I nod not follow a keto diet....just watch my carbs, my sugars...and I watch my fats too, make sure they are not saturated. No meat or cheese  for me either.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Trinity11   The Keto diet is high in fat including saturated fat. Do you think that contributed to your heart attacks?  It is why I nod not follow a keto diet....just watch my carbs, my sugars...and I watch my fats too, make sure they are not saturated. No meat or cheese  for me either.

Yes as I substituted cheese and beef for carbs. In fact the night before I had my first heart attack I had steak @SeaMaiden 

I still eat no desserts, chips or bread but I do eat beets, tomatoes and berries that keep me out of ketosis. No beef anymore and rarely eat meat...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise 

Feel sad for me! Please, I do not need or want you to feel any sadness towards me. There is little sadness in my life, and that is reserved for people, and furry kids, close to me that have died, some decades ago.

I am living the life I choose, which physically active, moreso than many men, years/decades my junior.

Guess you read past me actually watching, not a video, but my own true life event, live, not via a recording or pictures. I know what I watched and what was being explained to me step by step by my Cardiac Surgeon.

You didn't tell me who put out this video and what studies were done, by whom, and then who produced it.

I am not interested in what DH took, everyone is different. From your follow up on DH I must presume he is still alive and living his life, which I am guessing is not the same type as mine. You mention DH 3 times in your post, I mention only myself because this happened in my life, not my wife's or my family member.

In my 72 Cardiac Rehabilitation Classes I met well over 100 heart patients, with varying causes and degrees of CAD. Many, including myself, suffered from CHF.  Mine was short lived, about 4 months to be exact.

So stories abound for me from many heart patients, some that were fortunate enough to have it diagnosed, before they suffered from parts of their heart muscle dying, never to be regrown.

I will stick to my real life knowledge that covers my own trips through invasive Cardiac Procedures, not something by someone, or what did or did not, or is or is not working for DH.

Again, don't direct any of your sadness to me, as right now and for the foreseeable future(tomorrow), I am living MY Great Life, and that includes continuing taking my Statins as long as my Doctors see fit.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Susan Louise 

Feel sad for me! Please, I do not need or want you to feel any sadness towards me. There is little sadness in my life, and that is reserved for people close to me that have died, some decades ago.

I am living the life I choose, which physically active, moreso than many men, years/decades my junior.

Guess you read past me actually watching, not a video, but my own true life event, live, not via a recording or pictures. I know what I watched and what was being explained to me step by step by my Cardiac Surgeon.

You didn't tell me who put out this video and what studies were done, by whom, and then who produced it.

I am not interested in what DH took, everyone is different. From your follow up on DH I must presume he is still alive and living his life, which I am guessing is not the same type as mine. You mention DH 3 times in your post, I mention only myself because this happened in my life, not my wife's or my family member.

In my 72 Cardiac Rehabilitation Classes I met well over 100 heart patients, with varying causes and degrees of CAD. Many, including myself, suffered from CHF.  Mine was short lived, about 4 months to be exact.

So stories abound for me from many heart patients, some that were fortunate enough to have it diagnosed, before they suffered from parts of their heart muscle dying, never to be regrown.

I will stick to my real life knowledge that covers my own trips through invasive Cardiac Procedures, not something by someone, or what did or did not, or is or is not working for DH.

Again, don't direct any of your sadness to me, as right now and for the foreseeable future(tomorrow), I am living MY Great Life, and that includes continuing taking my Statins as long as my Doctors see fit.

hckynut 

Bravo, John! Bravo!!!! 👍👏 👊

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.