Honored Contributor

For those that take cholesterol meds...

[ Edited ]

...or knows a family member or friend who takes them, I recommend watching this new youtube video...

Cholesterol Meds DOUBLE Your Dementia Risk (Protect Your Brain!) 2021

For those who would like to understand how cholesterol actually works in the body, I highly recommend watching a near 2 hr youtube educational documentary video titled 'Fat Head'Don't be put-off by the title. Even that is explained in the video.

Since it is long, stream it to your tv. If you can't watch it entirely in one sitting, watch in chunks of time, but don't skip through it. You will miss key points throughout on cholesterol/statins and several other health issues. Cholesterol is not the enemy...it is sugars/carbs/trans fats.

Thank heavens DH doesn't take his Crestor anymore. He stopped soon after we started a low carb/keto lifestyle in Sept 2018. Those meds were never necessary to begin with...ever...that is the maddening part!

Are you in disbelief? Watch the 'Fat Head' video!

So glad I never took any whatsoever. 

Respected Contributor

Re: For those that take cholesterol meds...

[ Edited ]

fwiw - Years ago I was taking some health-related classes and the instructor said that the numbers for high cholesterol were lowered to get more people on meds. People really need to ask questions and do research and not take something just because it was prescribed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

fwiw - Years ago I was taking some health-related classes and the instructor said that the numbers for high cholesterol were lowered to get more people on meds. People really need to ask questions and do research and not take something just because it was prescribed.

@ThinkingOutLoud  Absolutely...that's half the problem. There are also so many Drs that refuse to change their old school beliefs, don't take the time to learn new findings/research and/or for their own other/various reasons. Their ignorance puts their own patients further at risk for even more health concerns.

I have highly recommended a book many times titled 'Lies My Dr Told Me'...quite eye-opening.

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud  Absolutely...that's half the problem. There are also so many Drs that refuse to change their old school beliefs, don't take the time to learn new findings/research and/or for their own other/various reasons. Their ignorance puts their own patients further at risk for even more health concerns.

I have highly recommended a book many times titled 'Lies My Dr Told Me'...quite eye-opening.

Unfortunately, it goes beyond not learning of new findings, etc. I know of a doctor that was told by his boss/management that he wasn't bringing enough patients back. They wanted to see at least a 25% return. Meaning that dr's weren't actually supposed to help everyone they see. He felt that went against the hippocratic oath and went where he was actually supposed to resolve the health issue/s people had.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Unfortunately, it goes beyond not learning of new findings, etc. I know of a doctor that was told by his boss/management that he wasn't bringing enough patients back. They wanted to see at least a 25% return. Meaning that dr's weren't actually supposed to help everyone they see. He felt that went against the hippocratic oath and went where he was actually supposed to resolve the health issue/s people had.

@ThinkingOutLoud  I believe it...no different than pharma/gov doing all they can to increase profits/self interests. That also is explained in the 'Fat Head' video.

When DH and I are watching tv and a commercial pops up about a new drug we know it's just to get more $ in pharma pockets. They only want to help the symptoms folks have...not cure/resolve/end. That would mean folks then would stop buying/needing the meds...so no $ coming in.

DH & I are not anti-drugs for those that might think this. For example, we take our flu shots every year. We are just against drugs pharma/gov pushes for profit/$ that do more harm than good...and there are many.

PPI's are another example...that's a whole other can of worms.

So many variables everyone needs to take into consideration and take seriously.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise 

Been taking Lipitor(Atorvastatin) since 2002 and will continue to do so. Not interested in watching this video as I know what foods are best for me.  

As far as sugar/carbs and trans fats?  I have been well aware of foods that are Hydrogenated for several decades now. Dr. Kenneth Cooper wrote several books on this back in the 1970's.

Have you ever seen 1 of your own Major Coronary Arteries 100% blocked? Not a picture or a video, but in real time? Probably not, but I have. I watched as my Right Coronary Artery was 100% blocked as my Cardiologist performed a Stent Angioplasty.

At 100% blocked, it is not visible on the Heart Cath Monitor. As the procedure gets to completion, I saw that Artery appear on the monitor. I was wide awake throughout the whole procedure and I know it was not sugars/carbs or trans fats blocking that Artery. That would be Plaque. Sugar and Carbs DO NOT cause Plaque.

I do not know who authored this video or how or where they acquired there view on this topic. What I do know is what I learned in several 4 hour Clinics given by Cardiologists/Nutritionists and Exercise Physiologists. I see you gave no author of this video and what studies were used to come to their conclusion.

As you are "glad you never took any whatsoever", I am glad to have had my background in Cardiovascular Disease. As for Statins? My Cardiologist says they are still necessary for me because of my Maternal Genetics. Having been a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian for close to 30 years when I had my 1st heart attack! The #1 cause and effect? I didn't get to choose my mother/Maternal Predisposition to Cardiovascular Disease.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut   DH & I both have had several various serious health issues. I respectfully disagree with you on the issues of statins. I am sad you won't watch the video, but that is your choice. Because of that though, you will never be able to at the very least understand why DH and I both feel strongly against statins for anyone. That 'Fat Head' video explains a lot. Additionally, saying it is eye-opening doesn't even scratch the surface...not by a long shot.

As I mentioned in my OP, my DH took Crestor he was prescribed by his Dr. Thank heavens he isn't taking it anymore.

I mentioned in a previous post in this thread about not all Drs are doing what is best for their patients. I can speak from experience. You probably wouldn't consider reading the book I recommended either - 'Lies my Dr Told Me'.

Quite honestly, only those who truly have an open mind would consider or even bother watching the video or reading the book anyway. 

We just view things as polar opposites.

Honored Contributor

Cholesterol meds also make your A1C levels go up...and can make you diabetic.....so many reasons to really work on lifestyle changes and natural supplements to lower cholesterol rather than taking pharmaceuticals.  

My husband is one of THOSE people who does  nothing to better his health...has high cholesterol and high blood pressure...takes meds rather than trying to correct the issues himself....he is totally a couch potato and eats what he wants.  His A1C levels are also bordering on diabetes...probably from the cholesterol meds.

Makes me sad....but it is his life and his choice......

Respected Contributor

The person speaking in these videos has just had his medical license placed on probation. His license was already on suspension prior to this latest status. If you Google Ken Berry medical license in Tennessee, you can find the information.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I stopped taking statins as soon as I found out it made my A1C go up to pre-diabetic level. I quit taking statins and told my doc that I could find a better way and I did.