Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those taking synthroid

On 6/25/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 6/25/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 6/24/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 6/24/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 6/24/2014 PinkieBelle said:
On 6/21/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

You just cannot make blanket statement of good vs. bad when it comes to health care and medications. Everybody's body is different, and different things will work.

I have been on levothroxide (sp?) forever, with no problems at all.

Someone else? Maybe not.

I did not feel that the OP was making a blankent statement. They were just saying that if you are taking synthroid and are having symptoms, it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about the alternative med to see if the symptoms go away.

Thanks Pinkiebelle! I thought I was pretty clear. As I posted earlier, I won't be doing this again. Too many defensive posters ready to jump on someone. Its not worth it. They can do their own research~ Thanks for understanding!Smile Maybe there were some that were helped, that was my intent~

I hope you don't think I was bashing you emmiesmom, because I absolutely was not. I was just stating how successful my thyroid treatment has been with Synthroid. In fact, I did not even notice it was your post (I rarely look at who is posting). Believe me, you're one of my favorite people here and I surely wouldn't bash someone who was just trying to be helpful, as it's happened to me so many times.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Ford, I would never think that, no way! You are a sweetheart! You are one of my favorite people, you and addiegal are so helpful, you girls make it all worth it!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Thank you, emmiesmom . . . I'm glad we're "good."

We're good!!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

My gyno (primary physician in my case) ran blood work last October. He included TSH and T3 and T4. Determined I was hypothyroid (I'd had the symptoms for years and blamed it on menopause). It took 3 months for me to get an appointment with an endocrinologist. She ran a TSH again and the thyroid peroxidase test upon 1st visit. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. She prescribed 75 mcg Synthroid and I began taking at end of January 2014. Went for a follow blood test in March - she only ran a TSH and T4. TSH dropped like a rock, from nearly 8 to 0.56. I asked, hey should we reduce the Synthroid (I pay for brand name difference)? She says, no, see you in September. Went for follow up with gyno - mostly for lipid profile. He happens to run a TSH, I'm at 2.2.

I'm going to ask my endo to run all of the T3 and T4s when I see her next month. I'm also going to ask for an RX for Armour since I really think I need a T3/T4 combo based on side effects and how I am feeling. Can't wait to see how this is going to go over. I'm already looking for other endocrinologists in the event she fights me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Took Synthroid for 5 years so far, at first I felt really well, but then.... blood pressure started rising, horrible acid reflux (which I had never had before), hair still falling out-lucky I have a lot, always itching, foggy head, heart palpitations, and others.

After years of suffering finally realized it was the synthroid. I don't think my body likes synthetic. So I've been on Naturethroid the past 4 days. My blood pressure went back to 111 (which is normal for me) and I haven't been itching. Not all the side effects are gone but doctor said it could take a couple of weeks. I don't know that this is the perfect medicine but I'm hoping my body tolerates it better.

I think some people do great on synthroid and others don't. Some do great on a more natural thyroid med and some don't. Everyone has to find what works best for their body.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/4/2014 Disneylandfan said:

Took Synthroid for 5 years so far, at first I felt really well, but then.... blood pressure started rising, horrible acid reflux (which I had never had before), hair still falling out-lucky I have a lot, always itching, foggy head, heart palpitations, and others.

After years of suffering finally realized it was the synthroid. I don't think my body likes synthetic. So I've been on Naturethroid the past 4 days. My blood pressure went back to 111 (which is normal for me) and I haven't been itching. Not all the side effects are gone but doctor said it could take a couple of weeks. I don't know that this is the perfect medicine but I'm hoping my body tolerates it better.

I think some people do great on synthroid and others don't. Some do great on a more natural thyroid med and some don't. Everyone has to find what works best for their body.

Great news! I am so glad you figured out it was your medication! I also have a problem with medications, have all my life. I always opt for a natural remedy..its always worked for me.

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/4/2014 Bird mama said:

My gyno (primary physician in my case) ran blood work last October. He included TSH and T3 and T4. Determined I was hypothyroid (I'd had the symptoms for years and blamed it on menopause). It took 3 months for me to get an appointment with an endocrinologist. She ran a TSH again and the thyroid peroxidase test upon 1st visit. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. She prescribed 75 mcg Synthroid and I began taking at end of January 2014. Went for a follow blood test in March - she only ran a TSH and T4. TSH dropped like a rock, from nearly 8 to 0.56. I asked, hey should we reduce the Synthroid (I pay for brand name difference)? She says, no, see you in September. Went for follow up with gyno - mostly for lipid profile. He happens to run a TSH, I'm at 2.2.

I'm going to ask my endo to run all of the T3 and T4s when I see her next month. I'm also going to ask for an RX for Armour since I really think I need a T3/T4 combo based on side effects and how I am feeling. Can't wait to see how this is going to go over. I'm already looking for other endocrinologists in the event she fights me.

Good luck Bird mama! Its your body and you should get what you want!

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Why are doctors so adamant about not prescribing Armour? And before someone says "money"...wouldn't the Drs have the same $ outcome with specialized Meds such as Armour?

I'm a "Hypo Newbie" & was questioning it to my Dr...normally soft-spoken, her demeanor changed when I asked about Armour....and everything I've read, a lot of doctors are the same way. Why?

Super Contributor

On 8/4/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 8/4/2014 Disneylandfan said:

Great news! I am so glad you figured out it was your medication! I also have a problem with medications, have all my life. I always opt for a natural remedy..its always worked for me.

Thanks emmiesmom, I'm cautiously optimistic. Hoping this works for the long term.

Respected Contributor

I took Synthroid for about 5 years and never felt well. Thanks to this BB and Suzanne Somers I went to a holistic doc and he gave me Armour. After taking it a few months and feeling great I got my regular doctor to prescribe it. With the holistic doc I had to get it from him and my insurance wouldn't cover it. Now I get it at CVS with my co-pay, I will never go back to a synthetic!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

On 8/4/2014 sidsmom said:

Why are doctors so adamant about not prescribing Armour? And before someone says "money"...wouldn't the Drs have the same $ outcome with specialized Meds such as Armour?

I'm a "Hypo Newbie" & was questioning it to my Dr...normally soft-spoken, her demeanor changed when I asked about Armour....and everything I've read, a lot of doctors are the same way. Why?

I would like to know the same thing about Armour? I don't understand why doctors don't want to prescribe.

Super Contributor

I'm taking the generic form of synthroid and it's not agreeing with me at all. I'm still very tired and have no energy. I called my Dr and she suggested that I haven't been on the medication long enough yet to make that assessment. I'm not having side effects but I am having trouble keeping the pill down. I take it with the full glass of water but towards the end of my drinking I feel like I am going to throw up the water. I haven't been on the meds two weeks yet. I just want to feel better. I think I'm going to request the non generic when I go in for my blood check. I'm on 50mcgs. My TSH is 12.4 which my dr says is high.