Honored Contributor

Re: For those struggling with pre-diabeties and type 2 diabeties...

@qualitygal wrote:

@Susan Louise  Thanks for doing that.  I'll be checking that out, since I am fearful that next doc visit, he'll be checking for it.  My dad was Diabetic.  That's rough!!

@qualitygal  My biological mother had both of her legs cut off 2 weeks before she died at 49 due to diabeties.

Cutting carbs/sugars and all trans fat is the key.

Honored Contributor

My husband was just diagnosed with Type 2, so all of this is very new to us and there will be a learning curve for us. 

I listened to the 9 minute version, it doesn't sound like a very healthy way of eating.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

My husband was just diagnosed with Type 2, so all of this is very new to us and there will be a learning curve for us. 

I listened to the 9 minute version, it doesn't sound like a very healthy way of eating.

@CelticCrafter  What is not healthy about a steak and salad dinner? LOL

That is what DH and I are having tonight...low carbs/no starches or sugar and no trans fat. Healthy fats are good for you...beef tallo, bacon fat, real butter and olive/coconut/avacado oils.

Our salad dressing is made with avacado oil Smiley Very Happy

I love eating a keto/low carb lifestyle...

I love not having to worry about having to take diabetic meds

I love not having to take PPI's anymore

I love my brain not being in a fog anymore

I love not being fat anymore (from all the carbs/starches/sugars/trans fat)

*which in turn has lowered my BP from 163/95 to 132/85 & still dropping

I love having my energy back...not wanting to nap all the time

I love not having GERD/acid reflux anymore

I love not having restless leg syndrone anymore

I love not being pre-diabetic anymore

I love my skin being clear of a few issues like ecxema

I love not having pain in my joints anymore (from the inflammation)

I think many folks who are resistant to this lifestyle loathe the thought of giving up all their fave foods...

Welp, DH and I really haven't given up much of anything. We truly enjoy keto/low carb versions of most of the same foods. There are thousands of videos/recipes online Smiley Very Happy

For other folks, the mere thought of change is frightening too...

I remember reading a great book years ago titled 'Who Moved My Cheese'...I highly recommend.

I also believe many have both issues which keeps them from even attempting to try.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter  What is not healthy about a steak and salad dinner? LOL

That is what DH and I are having tonight...low carbs/no starches or sugar and no trans fat. Our salad dressing is made with avacado oil Smiley Very Happy

I love eating a keto/low carb lifestyle...

I love not having to take PPI's anymore

I love my brain not being in a fog anymore

I love not being fat anymore (from all the carbs/starches/sugars/trans fat)

I love having my energy back...not wanting to nap all the time

I love not having GERD/acid reflux anymore

I love not having restless leg syndrone anymore

I love not being pre-diabetic anymore

I love my skin being clear of a few issues like ecxema

I think most folks who are resistant to this lifestyle loathe the thought of giving up all their fave foods...

Well, DH and I really haven't given up anything...we just enjoy keto/low carb versions of the same foods. There are thousands of videos/recipes online Smiley Very Happy

Apparently, you never read my post @Susan Louise . I was a firm advocate of the keto lifestyle. My BIL was too. We used to share keto recipes all the time. Our favorite was a decadent cheesecake recipe. He wasn't as lucky as I have been only having two heart attacks and a stroke. He (diabetic) needed a kidney transplant, lost his legs before a horrible death. Even after watching his suffering, I stayed on keto. Like yourself, I did not believe it can kill a person. I only wish I had listened to his final words to me. All I cared about was that I was thin.😩

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll admit to having watched Dr Berry but I recommend watching Dr Eric Westman's "white coat" video. He can be a little dull but he's been working with patients at Duke University for 20 years.  He's more low carb/moderate fat.  Cut out processed foods, including many items labeled keto friendly.

For those wanting to control insulin and blood sugar levels, check out timed eating.  I eat plenty of good food in a 5-6 hour window and I am rarely hungry.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This makes the second thread (and there may be more) I've seen from the OP pushing this doctor and his videos. What is the deal with that? This doctor's license is on probation!

A5D683C6-7CC8-4F20-A3E3-A084642D6915.png

Esteemed Contributor

I have recently been diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. I have an A1C level of 7.1. so my doctor put me on Metformin, I am also taking Cholesterol, one asprin a day, and HBP meds. I guess the old adage of go big or go home must have been my motto. (I am kidding of course)

I have no idea when I let everything get out of hand.  This was all discovered, with the exception of the HBP with blood work that was done in preparation for a physical that I will have next week. (Talk about shock)

I had a visit yesterday for a foot and eye exam. Which I passed. This is something that I know have to be mindful of. 

I have started exercising every day on my treadmill I am currently at 15 minutes a day, but eventually I will be up to 30 minutes. I am making tons of little changes that I hope will in the long run equal success. Absolutely no more fast food and more fruits and vegetables, and a conscious choice to eat healthy. My brother told me that I did not get in this predicament overnight, so there is no quick and easy fix to get right again. I need to put in the work, and It's a learning process. 

I am happy for your results, and thank you for sharing, but I will not be attempting Keto. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

This makes the second thread (and there may be more) I've seen from the OP pushing this doctor and his videos. What is the deal with that? This doctor's license is on probation!

It is on probation for at least the second, if not third time. Do a Google search. His problems go back decades. He sells clothing and other items on his website. I can't seem to find any disclaimer that he is banned from praticing medicine. And, he has videos that will help you "fix" all of your major medical issues. It's the same "cure" on each video: KETO.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

It is on probation for at least the second, if not third time. Do a Google search. His problems go back decades. He sells clothing and other items on his website. I can't seem to find any disclaimer that he is banned from praticing medicine. And, he has videos that will help you "fix" all of your major medical issues. It's the same "cure" on each video: KETO.

Must be a member of his cult, and is required to recruit new members.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.