Valued Contributor

For those of you who need to take medicines with you

when you fly what is the requirements for taking an insulin pen and needle tops? This wll be my first flight and I need to take my meds onboard as I don't trust leaving them in checked luggage. I am nervous about flying as it is my first time. I also need to take a  couple other meds. They are in pill form.  Does anyone take something for extreme nervousness about flying?  Thanks   

Honored Contributor

Re: For those of you who need to take medicines with you

This link is to a TSA web page about diabetics and air travel: http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/04/tsa-travel-tips-travelers-with-diabetes.html

I don't have diabetes, but I have many asthma and allergy medications I take when I travel. I pack all my medications in my carry on bag or purse to make sure that I have them even if my luggage gets lost.

If you are nervous about flying, talk to your doctor about safe options to help calm you if you need them. I'm not a nervous flyer, but I don't drink or take anything that might make me hard to wake up on a plane because I want to be awake so people don't crawl over me trying to get to the restroom. I always try to sit in an aisle seat because I know I'll need to get up and use the restroom and least once and it's easier if I'm on the aisle.

Honored Contributor

@allaries wrote:

when you fly what is the requirements for taking an insulin pen and needle tops? This wll be my first flight and I need to take my meds onboard as I don't trust leaving them in checked luggage. I am nervous about flying as it is my first time. I also need to take a  couple other meds. They are in pill form.  Does anyone take something for extreme nervousness about flying?  Thanks   

@allaries

You should google "flying with medication" and read up on this.   Here's one link that could be helpful (see below).

If you have really never flown before, check with your MD for a mild sedative.   There's a good chance you won't need it if you think of this as a new adventure.   No need to be anxious.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-with.html

Respected Contributor

My dh is diabetic and we fly frequently. He carries his needles with his other meds in a carry on. His insulin is separate in a small insulated bag with a small ice pack. Tisa always opens that but he has had no problem. Make sure all prescriptions are properly labeled and you have any liquids other than insulin in 3 oz containers in a quart size bad.

DO not check any meds or valuables. Smile at the screeners 

Honored Contributor

I always take my meds in my purse with me when i fly which includes an epi pen. The purse goes through security no problem.  Once in El Paso I was asked to empty my purse out on a table - it was a random check and they went all through my purse contents and didn't say anything about my meds being in there. I had a pen knife though that they confiscated.They gave me a padded mailing bag, I wrote my home address on it and paid some postage and they did mail it to me.

Respected Contributor

I carry a large purse with two of my most important things: my medications and my jewelry.  Never a problem.

DH has an injectible medication as well as a few of his urostomy bags with tape and never a problem.  However, TSA has done pat downs and he warns them that he has the bag and if they pat him too hard, they may have a mess to clean up.

As for a sedative, I personally don't need them but you could try OTC Benadryl or Xanax if you have them, otherwise call your physician.

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby travels with his meds in his carry on bag - they must be in the proper pill bottles labeled with name & identifying drug/dr. He was told not to travel with the days of the week container.