Super Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@1Snickers,

Hearing aids are very helpful to those who have lost the ability to hear due to the most common causes like hypertension, age, viral illness and other illness, exposure, etc.   I agree they can be helpful to those who have tinnitus.

My 85 year old mother is wearing a $2500 set of hearing aids; she also has dementia, and is thought to be mid-stage.   Today I witnessed my mother not hear her telephone, nor her beeping smoke alarm (low battery) when she was standing within 3 ft of both.   Just recently I have suspected, mom’s brain receptors are not always picking up the sounds.   She heard the phone on the 2nd ring, and the smoke detector on the 3rd chirp.   Once the brain stops “hearing”, no hearing aid on this earth is going to help.  

I strongly feel a focused age based medical assessment with the anxiety issue needs to happen before time and money are wasted with an audiologist.   

@RedTop You are truly an unbelievably kind and amazing woman.  The degree of time, assistance you have given to this poster is remarkable, to say the least.  You certainly know only too well of what you speak in your own journey with you mom.  Holding you, your family in my thoughts.  As well, of course, as this poster who needs so very much moving forward. ❤️🙏

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1,

I know the sound you hear is loud, quite frightening, and so very real that you have decided it is the wind blowing thru the vents of your house.   You have found a way to make the sound real and believable, but the truth is, the sound only exists to you.   

What is frightening to me, and to our friends here who follow you, is that we know this noise you have written about for 3 years, comes from inside you, and therefore you have always had the ability to fix it, with the right medical help!   

I strongly suspect you are well aware of things going on with you that are different than they used to be, and are not quite right.   Long before I asked the doctor to test my mom for dementia, she knew she was changing, but even now, my mom thinks she is just fine.   I only wish!   

Honored Contributor

Re: For everyone who asked

[ Edited ]

@halfpint1  please listen to @RedTop  she has your best interests at heart. I know it isn't what you want to hear, or to believe, but, you might end up spending a lot of money on something that won't even work, the  way  you hope it will.

The best place always to start is with your own Dr, who knows you best. They are not going to lie to you. Sometimes we just have to swallow our pride, and let the professionals take charge of us. My mother forgot things, and she was always the person that took care of all of us. She then had to become a person, who let us care for her

We all want the best for you, and for you to be happy. None of us like to read about your suffering  when we do, we feel sad. Please, just allow your Dr to help you, and trust what they are telling you..We are all here for you, and hoping you can overcome this problem

Honored Contributor

I know of two older people that  will not wear ,hearing aids, one will not even get hers checked.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Hearing aids are a huge commitment.  Even after spending a small fortune, you must wear them daily, know how to clean them, change the batteries or put them on charge mode, store them safely when not in use, and simply keep up with them.   

I was shocked to hear my 75 year old cousin has paid for his hearing aids 3x, because of not storing them safely at night, and his cat and dog chewing on them.