Honored Contributor

Re: For Those With Arthritis

Turmeric helps me a lot. You can Google it. Just make sure your turmeric is "standardized" and is "black-pepper-enhanced". Dr. Weil is a big fan of turmeric. Check out this article from is website:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400915/Curcumin-or-Turmeric.html

Super Contributor

Personally I haven't found any foods that helped. Having my left hip and both knees replaced over the past few years has made ALL the difference in the world. It's so good to be pain free in those areas again!!  But I do have arthritis in both thumbs and Lowe back. My thumbs hurt more than my back does. 

Honored Contributor

For me, it's more about rainy weather. That makes parts hurt. Never did a study of food and my arthritis..

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Turmeric helps me a lot. You can Google it. Just make sure your turmeric is "standardized" and is "black-pepper-enhanced". Dr. Weil is a big fan of turmeric. Check out this article from is website:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400915/Curcumin-or-Turmeric.html

@SilleeMee - Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

For me, it's more about rainy weather. That makes parts hurt. Never did a study of food and my arthritis..

@qualitygal - I noticed that too.  When the barometric pressure changes it effects my arthritis.

Honored Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

Food-wise, you are doing the exact right things.

Additionally:

1) eliminate weight-bearing exercise, such as walking and running.  Use stationary bike and pool exercises.

2) lose any excess weight - easier said, than done, but pain can be a HUGE motivator.

3) get some physical therapy

I know this from personal experience, as I HAD severe arthritis in my right hip, from a mild case of polio as a child.  At 61 and 240 lbs, I HAD become essentially homebound with the pain - about 30% functionality, with a cane.  Today, at 65 and 130 lbs, I am about 90% functioning, without a cane.  My right hip and leg still do tire somewhat easier, but I am incredibly grateful for this second chance at life.

Best wishes to you in finding your second chance!

@TeezNu, I agree with you that losing weight is the best tool for arthritis but not about eliminating weight bearing exercises including walking.  According to my orthopedic doctor and webmd, weight bearing exercises help built muscles to support the knee or whatever joint involved.  Of course each case is different but overall, this is usually the treatment suggested.

What I have found is that walking is my best medicine.  Weight training, I do with small poundage weights.  If I do nothing, I lockup and have more pain.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Rainy weather, exactly. I spend January through April in Arizona and almost entirely forget that I have arthritis. Can't wait to get back. 

Respected Contributor

The weather bothers me more than foods.

I work-out, take Turmeric and Hyaluronic Acid. everyday, other vitamins too.

Trying to avoid meds as much as possible. An Aleve only when I feel I can't take the ache! I have heard too many stories about specific meds for arthritis, I will try everything else first!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

I take tumeric and krill oil daily.  Also I use icy hot rub sticks and sometimes tiger balm.  Nothing really cures or eliminates complaetely.  Rainy weather is bad..  Dairy  products make me achy stuff like pizza although I love it I always feel achy ater eating it when I wake up.

Honored Contributor

There are two kinds of arthritis . . . rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.  RA is an autoimmune disease, while Osteo is a joint disorder.  They are very different.

I'd like to contribute to this thread, but have to know which arthritis it is about.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986