Respected Contributor

Over the years I have developed arthritis in my back, hip and knees.  I have been doing some research on what foods might make an impact on arthritis either good or bad. 

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with different foods effecting how you feel?  Currently I'm sticking to fruits, veggies, grains and some protein.  Staying away from white grains and sugar.

Respected Contributor

Re: For Those With Arthritis

There are some wonderful supplements out there.  I always found Zyflamend helpful - but of course if you are on prescription meds, you probably cannot take it.   Exercise is really helpful - I know that sounds weird, but daily walks would probably make you feel much better. 

Sounds like you have done your research - good luck.  I had something a few years ago where I could hardly move.  Luckily, after a year it went away. Being in constant pain is no fun. 

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

Over the years I have developed arthritis in my back, hip and knees.  I have been doing some research on what foods might make an impact on arthritis either good or bad. 

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with different foods effecting how you feel?  Currently I'm sticking to fruits, veggies, grains and some protein.  Staying away from white grains and sugar.

@Winkk I think inflamation is a huge issue in disease and anything we can do in our diet and lifestyle to bring that down is a plus. I have had both knees and both hips replaced over the last three years.. I like you also have arthitis in my upper back and neck and shoulders as well.

I  try to eat a healthy diet. No extra sugar, light on fruit, Lots of vegetables. light on the whole grains, and good quality protien. I do take the herbal formula inflamed by New Chapter... and I also take some chinese herbs that I think help my shoulders from getting inflamed and swollen.

I hope joint replacement is NOT in your near future, but, if it is like it was in mine, know that it is a wonderful thing.. I am now active and fit again because I can walk, and do all the things I could not do with my bad hips and knees. It is nothing to fear. 

Esteemed Contributor

You might want to do some research on turmeric-based supplements.  Turmeric has anti-inflamatory properties, and taking one of these supplements has certainly helped me.  I hope you can find some relief from your pain.  Best of luck to you!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

@Winkk I think inflamation is a huge issue in disease and anything we can do in our diet and lifestyle to bring that down is a plus. I have had both knees and both hips replaced over the last three years.. I like you also have arthitis in my upper back and neck and shoulders as well.

I  try to eat a healthy diet. No extra sugar, light on fruit, Lots of vegetables. light on the whole grains, and good quality protien. I do take the herbal formula inflamed by New Chapter... and I also take some chinese herbs that I think help my shoulders from getting inflamed and swollen.

I hope joint replacement is NOT in your near future, but, if it is like it was in mine, know that it is a wonderful thing.. I am now active and fit again because I can walk, and do all the things I could not do with my bad hips and knees. It is nothing to fear. 

@SeaMaiden - Good information.  I have Googled diets for arthritis and inflammation is a big part of it.  I will have to start eating more veggies and some fruit. 

My sister had a knee replacement recently and she was very happy with the results.  Hopefully, I can avoid that. 

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

There are some wonderful supplements out there.  I always found Zyflamend helpful - but of course if you are on prescription meds, you probably cannot take it.   Exercise is really helpful - I know that sounds weird, but daily walks would probably make you feel much better. 

Sounds like you have done your research - good luck.  I had something a few years ago where I could hardly move.  Luckily, after a year it went away. Being in constant pain is no fun. 

@hoosieoriginal - You are right about the pain.  I keep hoping that the doc is wrong and this will just go away.  Wishful thinking on my part.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

You might want to do some research on turmeric-based supplements.  Turmeric has anti-inflamatory properties, and taking one of these supplements has certainly helped me.  I hope you can find some relief from your pain.  Best of luck to you!

@PamfromCT - Now that you mention turmeric I did read something about that but I don't remember what the source was.  I'll have to Google that.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@hoosieoriginal - You are right about the pain.  I keep hoping that the doc is wrong and this will just go away.  Wishful thinking on my part.

@Winkk

Please don't count on the pain "just going away".   If you haven't already done so, check out the arthritis information on Mayo Clinic and WebMD websites, among others.   There's a lot of good information out there.   

Trusted Contributor

As for foods - that really depends on the individual person. I went to a naturopath and followed a medically supervised elimination diet. I learned that wheat, dairy and eggs are not my friends, and sugar is also an inflammation trigger for me.

For some people it's soy, legumes, other grains, nightshades, all depends.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Food-wise, you are doing the exact right things.

Additionally:

1) eliminate weight-bearing exercise, such as walking and running.  Use stationary bike and pool exercises.

2) lose any excess weight - easier said, than done, but pain can be a HUGE motivator.

3) get some physical therapy

I know this from personal experience, as I HAD severe arthritis in my right hip, from a mild case of polio as a child.  At 61 and 240 lbs, I HAD become essentially homebound with the pain - about 30% functionality, with a cane.  Today, at 65 and 130 lbs, I am about 90% functioning, without a cane.  My right hip and leg still do tire somewhat easier, but I am incredibly grateful for this second chance at life.

Best wishes to you in finding your second chance!

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller