Respected Contributor

For Those That Have Hypothyroid I Just Read a Great Book Very Educational

The book is called" Thyroid Healthy" by Suzy Cohen  it is an excellent book on obtaining a Healty  Thyroid. My husband has  hypothyroid and the meds he is on hasn't  helped him one bit and now I know why. This book explains so much and why the meds don't work. Goes into diet and the food to eat and not eat. Love this book and very easy to read. I got mine at the library and am going to purchase it. This is a must read if you have hypothyroid.

Honored Contributor

Re: For Those That Have Hypothyroid I Just Read a Great Book Very Educational

[ Edited ]

Very interesting and good timing that you posted this on hypo - just yesterday I began a brand new prescription of levothyroxine 50 mg for my hypothyroidism.

I will definitely check out the book you suggested to see if there's something else I can do instead of taking a script for this.  Of course I'm not at all surprised that our diet has everything to do with this.  Let's face it, diet and the foods we eat drives everything that we do, how we look, how we feel.

My Nurse Prac and I have been watching/testing my thyroid for the last 4-5 yrs now when she suggested I have it tested.  She phoned in my new script that I started yesterday. 

Esteemed Contributor

The book sounds interesting and thanks for posting it.  As someone who had radiation therapy 16 years ago, I have seen a significant improvement in the past few years due to lots of exercise, and my retirement probably helped a lot.  I also did some little tweeks to my diet, including very few processed foods.  We almost always eat fresh and home cooked--no fast food at all.  I think these are the things that really make a difference--at least for me--and also a good night's sleep.  It is amazing how many things play a part in good health.

I hope your husband does better with his treatments and hopefully this book will help.  We don't often hear of men having hypothyroidism, but with care, while there is no cure, he hopefully should see improvement with some little changes and start to feel better.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry your husband's meds haven't worked for him.  I take levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, but it took a while to find the proper dose.  My doctor started me out on a certain dose and let me take that for a while.  Then she redid bloodwork and upped my dose.  We repeated this until it didn't need anymore adjustments.  It seems like the third time was the proper dosage.  I've taken the same dose for many years now.  Other things can help, but I don't know of anyone who doesn't also need a prescription medication for it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it isn't too personal a question, how high was your husband's TSH number before he started treatment? My doc says 10 TSH is when she starts it. I think from a lot of what I am reading, that is high but I have seen websites where they say after 60, that is standard practice.

Is the author of this book an MD?

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11, the author is a Registered Pharmicist.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Ugh, the only med I have to take and I wish I didn't.

Is there hope to get off of levothyroxine (et al)?

It's all I want to know!?!

Trusted Contributor

Suzy Cohen is great, a wealth of knowledge. She talks about medications being "drug muggers" and how certain ones will deplete certain minerals and nutrients.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm I recently started taking Ashwagandha for other reasons, had my routine thyroid check, and now I am almost hyperthroid.  I had been on levothyroxine for about 10 years, and now am only taking the Ashwagandha for the past month.  I learned it is an adaptogen herb that regulates, among other things, the thyroid.  I will have my thyroid checked on another month to see if my levels are in range. HTH 😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm I recently started taking Ashwagandha for other reasons, had my routine thyroid check, and now I am almost hyperthroid.  I had been on levothyroxine for about 10 years, and now am only taking the Ashwagandha for the past month.  I learned it is an adaptogen herb that regulates, among other things, the thyroid.  I will have my thyroid checked on another month to see if my levels are in range. HTH 😊

I guess my question is, to *overcome* hypo is to get closer to hyper? 

I don't know if I want to be that close to hyper.  I saw what Grave's did to my sister in law's eyes (4 hr. surgery and they are still 'off'.)

I could NEVER figure out, (maneuver the Stop the Thyroid Madness) site.  Made no sense to me--ever.

Wondering if this book would be a help or just cause more confusion.

I'm willing to do anything to help my thyroid.  Do what's the best for it.  Drs. want to just usher me out of the office when I mention this.....